Ribble price increase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They may make stuff in the Far East but we can source from lots of countries - so you'd not be able to pick up bargain stock in Europe etc. Plus I doubt the pound will hold up against world currency very well.

vickster

Legendary Member
PS
@Solecyclist
If you after a bike for "endurance" cycling, I'd have a look at stuff from Spa - pains me to say it but sometimes Yorkshire trumps Lancs.
He's been looking for a bike for yonks (surely pre Covid), maybe missed the boat on decent prices and availability.

I got an almost mint Equilibrium disc (not the 725 but decent steel) for under £600 at the start of lockdown (used prices have come down and availability better again since their height in May time)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Bulldog I assume?
Could have been a Norwegian Elkhund,

1603816966036.png

Pining for the Fjords.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yes, but we'll be on WTO trading rules with most countries, so additional tariffs on pretty much everything.
Yawn yawn yawn yawn, the dark place is over there, I'd give you the link but I don't have it.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As far as I'm aware there are no EU preferential trade deals with Taiwan where the frames or complete bikes most likely come from. I stand to be corrected, but I think there's something like 14% duty on each one. No Brexit effect, just supply & demand.

To drag this back on topic, I was looking at the 105 version of the Endurance 725 Disc as a cycle to work option just before the excrement hit the air recirculating device and it's only gone up by £100, not the £200 stated by the OP. What has changed are the estimated delivery times - in the middle of the year it was early November, but it's now mid December or February if you want the small.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I Don't know if anyone has noticed but Ribble have increased the Price of its 725 Endurance disc range by £200 pounds. That's over 14% increase in price from the origanal figure. As you can see its well over the cost of inflation. I guess even value for money firms like Ribble are cashing in on the pandemic situation. Quite disgusting. Does anybody else have views on this.
Yep, we are all going to have to live with increased prices across many different products as a result of Covid-19, Brexit or a combination of the two.

I doubt Ribble or any other product manufacturer is cashing in on demand. More likely costs are increasing as producers look to secure their businesses as a result of Covid and production is more inline with demand meaning there is no need to discount to sell excess product.

This pandemic is going to cost us all financially one way or another. Just wait for the tax increases of various types to pay for furlough and all the other support schemes people are clamouring for without any consideration as to who will pay for it. Short answer? We all will.

Your outrage and disgust is misplaced.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Yes, but we'll be on WTO trading rules with most countries, so additional tariffs on pretty much everything.
They may make stuff in the Far East but we can source from lots of countries - so you'd not be able to pick up bargain stock in Europe etc. Plus I doubt the pound will hold up against world currency very well.
Here's a novel idea to avoid that situation.....
Perhaps we could make stuff (like bikes, cars, ships etc..) in Britain? You know, creating things called jobs!

stephec

Legendary Member
Many years ago we used to, but then the empire ended and we lost access to cheap raw materials that we forced other countries to sell us at cut price.

Then one day a British manufacturer worked out that if he paid someone in the far east 50p a week, instead of paying a British worker £10 a week, he could undercut the competiton, so he did it.

Then all his rivals had to do the same as the British public bought the cheaper foreign goods instead of British made ones, despite all the campaigning to, 'buy British.'

The End (of British manufacturing that is)

D

Deleted member 26715

Many years ago we used to, but then the empire ended and we lost access to cheap raw materials that we forced other countries to sell us at cut price.

Then one day a British manufacturer worked out that if he paid someone in the far east 50p a week, instead of paying a British worker £10 a week, he could undercut the competiton, so he did it.

Then all his rivals had to do the same as the British public bought the cheaper foreign goods instead of British made ones, despite all the campaigning to, 'buy British.'

The End (of British manufacturing that is)
I don't think it's quite that simply, we still seem to pay the highest price for a lot of goods in the UK, I've bought goods in other countries, got them shipped to the UK cheaper than going to the shop down the road, there does seem to be a theory that the UK will support a higher price then other nations.

Top Bottom