Ribble price increase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you're thinking British Leyland that was a long time ago.
I think that is what the word 'historically' tends to understood as :blush:

D

Deleted member 26715

I think that is what the word 'historically' tends to understood as :blush:
The word 'historically' now means British Leyland, how would you use that?

This castle was historically known for it's banqueting hall?
This castle was British Leyland known for it's banqueting hall?

It just doesn't have the same ring to it?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Just to add to the theory that costs are going up and supply chains are interrupted , my local Decathlon which is my go to for spares ( I work right next door ) does not have a lot of stock of much at all :wacko: .COVID, Brexit eventually is going to put prices only one way !

si_c

Guru
Just to add to the theory that costs are going up and supply chains are interrupted , my local Decathlon which is my go to for spares ( I work right next door ) does not have a lot of stock of much at all :wacko: .COVID, Brexit eventually is going to put prices only one way !
I was looking for Shimano 105 chainrings the other day, couldn't find any, small or large, from any UK retailer at a reasonable price.

si_c

Guru
..and there's me just downgraded from Ultegra to 105 as I was sick of the price of Ultegra replacements. :wacko:

Yeah, I'm looking for a pair of 50/34 chainrings as I want to put an existing chainset on a different bike and it's currently 52/36 - the old rings will move to yet another chainset. SJS have some at full retail price, but given that I can find a full chainset at more or less the same price I'll hold off doing it for now.

pretty sure i have enough chainrings to last me out - bought for various prices between £3 and £10. helps that they are all 9 or 8 speed.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The word 'historically' now means British Leyland, how would you use that?

This castle was historically known for it's banqueting hall?
This castle was British Leyland known for it's banqueting hall?

It just doesn't have the same ring to it?
I was referring to 'long time ago'. Not BL.

Here's a novel idea to avoid that situation.....
Perhaps we could make stuff (like bikes, cars, ships etc..) in Britain? You know, creating things called jobs!
We do still make things in Britain. My Brompton and my car were made in Britain. I think the car was as there's a plant but I once ordered an Astra from the garage in the same town as the factory producing the Astra.

When we got it - it had been made in Germany. Supply chains can be incredibly complicated. Making it harder to get bits in from Europe will not help us make things in the UK.

There must be very few products that you can source entirely from the UK without putting your price up too much.

PaulB

Legendary Member
My ongoing boycott of Ribble continues. I was once between jobs and applied to Ribble for an ad they'd posted looking to fill several vacancies. I applied separately for all three categories of job they were advertising for; shop assistant, bike assembler and warehouseman. They never bother even responding to any of my applications. My response is to do the same in return.

screenman

Legendary Member
I don't think it's quite that simply, we still seem to pay the highest price for a lot of goods in the UK, I've bought goods in other countries, got them shipped to the UK cheaper than going to the shop down the road, there does seem to be a theory that the UK will support a higher price then other nations.

Business overheads are very high in the UK.

Top Bottom