Ribble price increase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I hope not. They've not done it yet and sales have increased hugely. It's a premium product and people are prepared to pay for it.

They’ve already been asking focus groups if they would still buy a Brompton if it was built abroad, so it’s only a matter of time.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think from just this topic we can see cyclists or some are not prepared to pay more, they want high wages and low prices it cannot happen.
Correct. We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

When it comes to cycling my LBS is always my first port of call for anything I need. Yes, I sometimes pay more than I would elsewhere.

Do I care? No. I'm interested in the quality of workmanship, the help and advice and fantastic service I receive. This has no price but huge value.

And then there is the reward for loyalty. We all know bikes and accessories are in very short supply. I'm looking for a new bike. I got a phone call on Monday "We've got stock of Genesis Datum frame sets. Do you want one?" I know other long-standing loyal customers got the same call.

I'll have my bike in 2-3 weeks. Just waiting to find out if Shimano GRX is available, already got the 105 groupset.

How many low cost internet based suppliers would make that call?

Drago

Legendary Member
Many years ago we used to, but then the empire ended and we lost access to cheap raw materials that we forced other countries to sell us at cut price.

Then one day a British manufacturer worked out that if he paid someone in the far east 50p a week, instead of paying a British worker £10 a week, he could undercut the competiton, so he did it.

Then all his rivals had to do the same as the British public bought the cheaper foreign goods instead of British made ones, despite all the campaigning to, 'buy British.'

The End (of British manufacturing that is)
To be fair, BITD it could be difficult to buy British even if we wanted to because so many of the buggrsa were on strike little was actually being manufactured.

stephec

Legendary Member
I don't think it's quite that simply, we still seem to pay the highest price for a lot of goods in the UK, I've bought goods in other countries, got them shipped to the UK cheaper than going to the shop down the road, there does seem to be a theory that the UK will support a higher price then other nations.
Probably a combination of things, higher business costs, and exchange rates, amongst them.

postman

Legendary Member
doesn't most bike stuff come from the east?
What there are bicycle makers in Hull.

Top Bottom