RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2018) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
HI all,

Sorry to read about so many people not getting in. If you're still interested in taking part please PM me and I may be able to help.

Best regards,

Andy

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Having received the commiserations magazine recently, it was so lovely to see this morning's email entitled "Get in your saddle and kick-start your RideLondon training". Grrr, unsubscribe!

sleaver

Veteran
Having received the commiserations magazine recently, it was so lovely to see this morning's email entitled "Get in your saddle and kick-start your RideLondon training". Grrr, unsubscribe!
I got that email as well. However, the last time I did the ride was 2015 and I haven't entered the ballot since!

steverob

Guru
Is there anyone who didn't get in via the ballot, who is still interested in riding the 100, but not necessarily for charity? I may have a place or two coming available in the next few days...

I was helping out in setting up a works team to do RideLondon for our charity of the year and we got five people signed up to say they were interested - I would have been the sixth, but luckily managed to get in via the ballot, so decided to ride alone and only organise the team version instead. It then turned out that the team entries were over-subscribed so they held a ballot for those as well, which of course slightly delayed things. We finally got notification last week that we were one of the lucky teams, only for me to find that in the intervening period, a number of our lot had got cold feet, which probably leaves us short (you have to have at least four members to enter a team).

I'm still waiting to find out how many people exactly are still "in" (I was on leave today but am expecting to see e-mails when I get back in), but if it's less than four, I'd be willing to offer up a place or two to some ringers from here to make up the numbers. The trouble is we need to confirm (and pay for) the team place by Monday otherwise it we lose it.

If anyone might be interested, let me know. There are three small caveats however:
1) You'd be riding under the team name of my employer - probably doesn't make a difference, but thought I'd mention it. You wouldn't need to raise any money for our chosen charity though (unless you wanted to) - that would be done just by our guys.
2) Team entries work much like a Team Time Trial in the TdF - the finishing time you're given is whatever time the fourth person in your group crosses the line, meaning this isn't for someone who just wants to charge round in the fastest time possible. It'd be nice if all four riders helped each other so they'd cross the line together, but I wouldn't hold you to that!
3) The cost per person is for some reason dearer than the normal entry fee (though not by much) at £75. I'd ask you to pay me by Paypal or something like that by the end of the month if you wanted a place.

Buck

Guru
Just looking to book my return train ticket and was wondering if there is much to do after the ride has finished bearing in mind I’ll have my bike and only a cheap café lock.

I was wondering whether I should plan to head straight back to Kings Cross or loiter for an hour or so.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Buck No, there’s nothing to do. In your situation I’d grab a coffee and food, relax for 30-45 minutes before heading off to Kings Cross.

I was with two friends last year. We finished at different times, met up, took photos of each other then went back to our hotel. Put bikes in rooms and went straight to the bar in our kit!!!!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah, watch the pro race, have an ice cream or a hot waffle, depending on the weather. There's been easy spectator space on the Mall fairly close to the finishing line (although one side right at the line is taken by the organisers and their guests and TV) and big screens reasonably nearby.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The organisers provide a manned bike park near the finish, too. I think it's tag controlled, although I have heard of one being nicked in one of the early years, which shouldn't be possible. Only one in thousands over years, though.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My club has successfully applied for team places on PRL. We have one male and one female team, 4 places in each.

I wondered if other posters have experience of these team entries? The questions I have and which so far haven’t been answered in the general BC communications are sent to all successfull entrants are:

1. Start times?
  2. Does the team have to finish together?
  3. Can individuals from the team ride separately?
  4. How is the team expected to ride? This point arises because “team” implies both cooperation and an element of competitiveness.

vickster

Legendary Member
My club has successfully applied for team places on PRL. We have one male and one female team, 4 places in each.

I wondered if other posters have experience of these team entries? The questions I have and which so far haven’t been answered in the general BC communications are sent to all successfull entrants are:

1. Start times?
  2. Does the team have to finish together?
  3. Can individuals from the team ride separately?
  4. How is the team expected to ride? This point arises because “team” implies both cooperation and an element of competitiveness.
post #278 above by @steverob might help?

Top Bottom