Riding with someone who is slower..

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by koro, 18 Apr 2010.

1. OP
    OP
    koro

koro Active Member

;) that seems to be the same situation as us, lol. I am not sure why it irritates so much with the encouragement..it does to my wife too. I guess waiting at top of the hills is the way to go...cheers

2. al78

al78 Veteran

Cycle to the top of the hill at your own pace, when you get to the top turn around and go back down to join your wife, then go back up the hill at your own pace, repeat until wife has reached top of hill. You'll soon find a way to cycle at your wifes speed ;):biggrin:.

3. OP
    OP
    koro

koro Active Member

;) Lets keep that idea amongst ourselves, lol

4. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

It's seen as nagging/potential criticism if I do get off... (even if he doesn't say anything, I can hear him thinking that surely the hill isn't steep enough to warrant walking, after all, I'm not having any trouble...*)

*I'm not saying MrS does think this - that's just what my brain 'hears'!!

NB - logic has nothing to do with this!

5. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

...thereby acting just like an overactive dog!

That will piss her off even more than the 'encouragement' (it would me!) :-)

6. palinurus

palinurus Legendary Member

Not that slow. Do an intense ride the day before and use the ride with your wife as a recovery ride.

Go out front in a headwind and stay behind on the hills. If the pace is really easy unclip one of your feet and try to get up the hill with one leg, alternate legs every minute or so. Don't let her catch you doing it.

7. ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL New Member

I'm faster than DH at the moment, so we have the opposite problem. ;) I just cycle at my own pace and stop once in a while to let him catch up. Although we're hoping his cycle to work voucher arrives soon, but his company is ridiculously slow, so it may be a while. He's then getting a road bike so fingers crossed we'll then be similar speeds.

I don't cycle slowly behind him, cos that would just annoy us both. You should ride a mountain bike and your wife a road bike if you really want to equal up on speeds. :biggrin:

8. GrasB

GrasB Veteran

As said, the stronger/more skilled rider takes lead when its windy on the flat or if it's a tail wind/down hill then they let the weaker rider lead. Hills are never that easy to deal with, there's certainly merit for the stronger rider keeping with the weaker rider on longer climbs but some people find that irritating & belittling.

9. PK99

PK99 Guru

Ride a slower/heavier bike than she rides.
    ie if she is on a road bike, you ride a mountain bike

or:

Put panniers on your bike and fill them with rocks

10. Bandini

Bandini Guest

+1

11. hillrep

hillrep Veteran

Ask her what she would prefer?

12. gb155

gb155 Fan Boy No More.

Give her the Lance Armstrong "Look" and drop her on your way to victory :smile:

13. Bandini

Bandini Guest

I sometimes get a 'hang on' if I go to fast - she doesn't like being far behind.

14. What kind of bikes are you riding?

If its MTB then thats a fairly respectable average. On a 50+ miler with a mixture of on and off road, I would generally average 15 mph and its a very rare event indeed if I ever get overtaken.

15. OP
    OP
    koro

koro Active Member

She would like me to somehow magically stay just in front, without the need to keep looking over my shoulder,,lol

Cycling hard up the hills and then waiting sounds the best bet,, cycling back would annoy her. Time constraints mean that we are only able to go out now and again, so when the opportunity arrises we both go out together..

If I reverted to my old mountain bike. I know she wouldn`t like that,,,for what it cost to buy the new bikes,that wouldn`t be a smart move...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice