Riding with someone who is slower..

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by koro, 18 Apr 2010.

1. jazzkat

jazzkat Fixed wheel fanatic.

I have a similar problem with my better half. I've got a lighter road bike and am much fitter (not to say she's unfit) I tend to cycle behind her and enjoy the scenery much more than I would blasting along with my head down, on my own.
    I find that I am grinding away behind her (going quite slowly) but I do enjoy the rides out.
    My wife is getting faster all the time and with a lighter bike she'd go much quicker.

2. palinurus

palinurus Legendary Member

Bar-end mirror. I find it useful in exactly these circumstances.

3. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Its simply different..... We are doing the Great Glen in June, I would do it in two days taking my time, but my wife wants four - fine, I will simply take the camera and take lots of photos, and some binoculars and spot a lot of life as we go along

4. MacB

MacB Lover of things that come in 3's

If you're making 14-15mph over 30 miles it's far from slow, at that pace you could just turn a bigger gear and give yourself a workout.

5. OP
    OP
    koro

koro Active Member

She has a Spesh Allez Ellite, and I have a Giant Defy 2..

I dont want to revert back to my old mtb...
    She is fit, which does help, I am not fit by any means, just have that boy racer mentality, :smile: (That is in mind and not body:bicycle:)

We have justed started cycling. Had bikes for Christmas. Lucky to be able get out for a ride 2 -3 times a month. Although untill yesterday, it was 6 weeks ago since the last ride. So for 4 months we havn`t done alot.

As time permits, we are steadily building up the miles..

6. OP
    OP
    koro

koro Active Member

Turning a bigger gear or a higher cadence and keeping the same speed as my wife. Which of the 2 would be better for me?

7. MacB

MacB Lover of things that come in 3's

I'd do a mix of the two and stick to the other suggestions around hills at your own pace. Hills are the one thing I can't do at anothers pace, especially the long ones. The only thing to watch for, if turning a really big gear, are any knee twinges.

Experiment a bit, maybe try a long hill standing the whole way, try it seated another time, vary the gears. I certainly feel a benefit if I practice my climbing out of the saddle. You can also do this on the flat with a big enough gear.

8. Riverman

Riverman Über Member

Leave her behind. Sorted. :smile:

9. CrinklyLion

CrinklyLion Guest

no - pootle along as slowly as she likes and admire her behind. Much better idea.

10. gavintc

gavintc Guru

When we want an equal workout, I take my winter bike, she takes her smart carbon one. This seems to balance our abilities.

11. Riverman

Riverman Über Member

Round of golf anyone?

12. OP
    OP
    koro

koro Active Member

The trouble is I get too close, makes her feel nervous :laugh:

13. OP
    OP
    koro

koro Active Member

Thanks, I will give that a try...

14. Well I would say that you are both doing well.

The increase in miles will come, as will the improvement in average speed.
    Sometimes its better to be a little slower and enjoy the scenery, its not all head down arse up;)

15. OP
    OP
    koro

koro Active Member

Thanks, I`m not a pretty sight with my arse up, my wife wins on that one...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice