Riding with someone who is slower..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I have a similar problem with my better half. I've got a lighter road bike and am much fitter (not to say she's unfit) I tend to cycle behind her and enjoy the scenery much more than I would blasting along with my head down, on my own.
I find that I am grinding away behind her (going quite slowly) but I do enjoy the rides out.
My wife is getting faster all the time and with a lighter bike she'd go much quicker.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
koro said:
She would like me to somehow magically stay just in front, without the need to keep looking over my shoulder,,lol.

Bar-end mirror. I find it useful in exactly these circumstances.

Mark_Robson said:
Probably a tad extreme but worth thinking about. :smile:
When I'm out with my wife I let her go in front and set the pace and I just trundle along behind her trying not to look bored.

Its simply different..... We are doing the Great Glen in June, I would do it in two days taking my time, but my wife wants four - fine, I will simply take the camera and take lots of photos, and some binoculars and spot a lot of life as we go along

OP
OP
koro

koro

addictfreak said:
What kind of bikes are you riding?

If its MTB then thats a fairly respectable average. On a 50+ miler with a mixture of on and off road, I would generally average 15 mph and its a very rare event indeed if I ever get overtaken.

She has a Spesh Allez Ellite, and I have a Giant Defy 2..

I dont want to revert back to my old mtb...
She is fit, which does help, I am not fit by any means, just have that boy racer mentality, :smile: (That is in mind and not body:bicycle:)

We have justed started cycling. Had bikes for Christmas. Lucky to be able get out for a ride 2 -3 times a month. Although untill yesterday, it was 6 weeks ago since the last ride. So for 4 months we havn`t done alot.

As time permits, we are steadily building up the miles..

OP
OP
koro

koro

MacB said:
If you're making 14-15mph over 30 miles it's far from slow, at that pace you could just turn a bigger gear and give yourself a workout.

Turning a bigger gear or a higher cadence and keeping the same speed as my wife. Which of the 2 would be better for me?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
koro said:
Turning a bigger gear or a higher cadence and keeping the same speed as my wife. Which of the 2 would be better for me?

I'd do a mix of the two and stick to the other suggestions around hills at your own pace. Hills are the one thing I can't do at anothers pace, especially the long ones. The only thing to watch for, if turning a really big gear, are any knee twinges.

Experiment a bit, maybe try a long hill standing the whole way, try it seated another time, vary the gears. I certainly feel a benefit if I practice my climbing out of the saddle. You can also do this on the flat with a big enough gear.

Riverman said:
Leave her behind. Sorted. :laugh:

no - pootle along as slowly as she likes and admire her behind. Much better idea.

OP
OP
koro

koro

User10119 said:
no - pootle along as slowly as she likes and admire her behind. Much better idea.

The trouble is I get too close, makes her feel nervous :laugh:

OP
OP
koro

koro

MacB said:
I'd do a mix of the two and stick to the other suggestions around hills at your own pace. Hills are the one thing I can't do at anothers pace, especially the long ones. The only thing to watch for, if turning a really big gear, are any knee twinges.

Experiment a bit, maybe try a long hill standing the whole way, try it seated another time, vary the gears. I certainly feel a benefit if I practice my climbing out of the saddle. You can also do this on the flat with a big enough gear.

Thanks, I will give that a try...

koro said:
She has a Spesh Allez Ellite, and I have a Giant Defy 2..

I dont want to revert back to my old mtb...
She is fit, which does help, I am not fit by any means, just have that boy racer mentality, :laugh: (That is in mind and not body:bicycle:)

We have justed started cycling. Had bikes for Christmas. Lucky to be able get out for a ride 2 -3 times a month. Although untill yesterday, it was 6 weeks ago since the last ride. So for 4 months we havn`t done alot.

As time permits, we are steadily building up the miles..

Well I would say that you are both doing well.

The increase in miles will come, as will the improvement in average speed.
Sometimes its better to be a little slower and enjoy the scenery, its not all head down arse up;)

OP
OP
koro

koro

addictfreak said:
Well I would say that you are both doing well.

The increase in miles will come, as will the improvement in average speed.
Sometimes its better to be a little slower and enjoy the scenery, its not all head down arse up;)

Thanks, I`m not a pretty sight with my arse up, my wife wins on that one...

Top Bottom