Riding with someone who is slower..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
koro

koro

Spinney said:
As the slow half of a pair...

I'd rather MrS went up hills at his own pace and waited for me at the top. He used to cycle just behind me, thinking that would encourage me not to get off and walk, but it just irritated me! I am much better up hills now (but will never be as fast as him).

It's nice travelling along together on the flats or downhills. And he does a good job of letting me tuck in behind when we get a headwind (although he can never quite slow down enough for me to keep tucked in when there is an uphill!)

;) that seems to be the same situation as us, lol. I am not sure why it irritates so much with the encouragement..it does to my wife too. I guess waiting at top of the hills is the way to go...cheers

al78

Guru
Shaun said:
On the flats and downhills I'm happy to cycle behind my wife, but on the up-hills I like to push it as hard as I can and wait at the top of the hill. In my opinion, the benefits of cycling with my wife far outweigh any minor disadvantages not both cycling at the same speed. Anyway, the difference is starting to narrow now, so it keeps me on my toes.

Cycle to the top of the hill at your own pace, when you get to the top turn around and go back down to join your wife, then go back up the hill at your own pace, repeat until wife has reached top of hill. You'll soon find a way to cycle at your wifes speed ;):biggrin:.

OP
OP
koro

koro

al78 said:
Cycle to the top of the hill at your own pace, when you get to the top turn around and go back down to join your wife, then go back up the hill at your own pace, repeat until wife has reached top of hill. You'll soon find a way to cycle at your wifes speed :biggrin::smile:.

;) Lets keep that idea amongst ourselves, lol

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
koro said:
;) that seems to be the same situation as us, lol. I am not sure why it irritates so much with the encouragement..it does to my wife too. I guess waiting at top of the hills is the way to go...cheers

It's seen as nagging/potential criticism if I do get off... (even if he doesn't say anything, I can hear him thinking that surely the hill isn't steep enough to warrant walking, after all, I'm not having any trouble...*)

*I'm not saying MrS does think this - that's just what my brain 'hears'!!

NB - logic has nothing to do with this!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
al78 said:
Cycle to the top of the hill at your own pace, when you get to the top turn around and go back down to join your wife, then go back up the hill at your own pace, repeat until wife has reached top of hill.
...thereby acting just like an overactive dog!

That will piss her off even more than the 'encouragement' (it would me!) :-)

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
koro said:
On a 30 mile ride, we are averaging 14-15mph..

Not that slow. Do an intense ride the day before and use the ride with your wife as a recovery ride.

Go out front in a headwind and stay behind on the hills. If the pace is really easy unclip one of your feet and try to get up the hill with one leg, alternate legs every minute or so. Don't let her catch you doing it.

ChristinaJL

I'm faster than DH at the moment, so we have the opposite problem. ;) I just cycle at my own pace and stop once in a while to let him catch up. Although we're hoping his cycle to work voucher arrives soon, but his company is ridiculously slow, so it may be a while. He's then getting a road bike so fingers crossed we'll then be similar speeds.

I don't cycle slowly behind him, cos that would just annoy us both. You should ride a mountain bike and your wife a road bike if you really want to equal up on speeds. :biggrin:

GrasB

Veteran
As said, the stronger/more skilled rider takes lead when its windy on the flat or if it's a tail wind/down hill then they let the weaker rider lead. Hills are never that easy to deal with, there's certainly merit for the stronger rider keeping with the weaker rider on longer climbs but some people find that irritating & belittling.

PK99

Legendary Member
koro said:
Hi, my wife and I have just started up cycling, we can both do around 30 miles ok. The pace my wife goes at is a little slow. (dont tell her I said that).. I dont like peddaling off and waiting, and neither does she like me cycling to close to her, lol. What do you guys do in a similar position, would having myself spiining at a higher rpm, and doing the same speed as my wife, give me a good workout. I hope to, later in the year one or two long distance rides, on my own. I am trying to get more stamina and a higher average speed. Just dont want to upset the wife, I enjoy going out together. She loves cycling, so I dont want to pee her off, just would like us both to benefit, when we are able to get out.

Cheers, for any advice.

Ride a slower/heavier bike than she rides.
ie if she is on a road bike, you ride a mountain bike

or:

Put panniers on your bike and fill them with rocks

Bandini

Shaun said:
On the flats and downhills I'm happy to cycle behind my wife, but on the up-hills I like to push it as hard as I can and wait at the top of the hill. In my opinion, the benefits of cycling with my wife far outweigh any minor disadvantages not both cycling at the same speed.

+1

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
koro said:
Hi, my wife and I have just started up cycling, we can both do around 30 miles ok. The pace my wife goes at is a little slow. (dont tell her I said that).. I dont like peddaling off and waiting, and neither does she like me cycling to close to her, lol. What do you guys do in a similar position, would having myself spiining at a higher rpm, and doing the same speed as my wife, give me a good workout. I hope to, later in the year one or two long distance rides, on my own. I am trying to get more stamina and a higher average speed. Just dont want to upset the wife, I enjoy going out together. She loves cycling, so I dont want to pee her off, just would like us both to benefit, when we are able to get out.

Cheers, for any advice.

Give her the Lance Armstrong "Look" and drop her on your way to victory :smile:

koro said:
On a 30 mile ride, we are averaging 14-15mph..There is not much to her, 5`7, size 8. She swims most days 1 mile at a time...I hate swimming. So therefore dont want her to say the same about cycling, lol. She does enjoy it though, so I dont want that to change. I guess, I will have to use that word I dislike " compromise".

What kind of bikes are you riding?

If its MTB then thats a fairly respectable average. On a 50+ miler with a mixture of on and off road, I would generally average 15 mph and its a very rare event indeed if I ever get overtaken.

OP
OP
koro

koro

She would like me to somehow magically stay just in front, without the need to keep looking over my shoulder,,lol

Cycling hard up the hills and then waiting sounds the best bet,, cycling back would annoy her. Time constraints mean that we are only able to go out now and again, so when the opportunity arrises we both go out together..

If I reverted to my old mountain bike. I know she wouldn`t like that,,,for what it cost to buy the new bikes,that wouldn`t be a smart move...

Top Bottom