Riding with someone who is slower..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

koro

Hi, my wife and I have just started up cycling, we can both do around 30 miles ok. The pace my wife goes at is a little slow. (dont tell her I said that).. I dont like peddaling off and waiting, and neither does she like me cycling to close to her, lol. What do you guys do in a similar position, would having myself spiining at a higher rpm, and doing the same speed as my wife, give me a good workout. I hope to, later in the year one or two long distance rides, on my own. I am trying to get more stamina and a higher average speed. Just dont want to upset the wife, I enjoy going out together. She loves cycling, so I dont want to pee her off, just would like us both to benefit, when we are able to get out.

Cheers, for any advice.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Get a tandem.

OP
OP
koro

koro

lol....a tandem would be a idea, that would lead to a divorce...which would then lose me everything....

Seriously, there must be peeps in a similar position.

On a more serious note.

You can also use any solo rides you do, to build your distance/stamina etc.

The rides with the missus will soon improve, just give her time and encouragement.

Mrs AF does not cycle at all, but I have the same problem when we going walking in the Lakes, I like to be fairly brisk and walk the high ridges while she likes easy more sedate walks. Itds all about comprimise.

OP
OP
koro

koro

Compromise...hate that word, lol..

We only are able to get out very occasionally. It is enjoyable, perhaps if I were to pretend to have a weak bladder I could let her cycle off, and then catch back up...do you guys think that cycling at a higher cadence, whilst keeping at the same speed as my wife, would roughly be the same as cycling off at a lower cadence but higher speed?

kewb

this is what happens when hubby wants a bike wifey doesnt then changes her mind 6 months later ,
she needs to build stamina /speed op check your average speed against hers and she has a target to reach i would suggest around 14mph for both of you if your higher a different gear might help but she must be labouring like a newbee and last thing she needs is to told shes not fast enough it could put her off cycling .

OP
OP
koro

koro

On a 30 mile ride, we are averaging 14-15mph..There is not much to her, 5`7, size 8. She swims most days 1 mile at a time...I hate swimming. So therefore dont want her to say the same about cycling, lol. She does enjoy it though, so I dont want that to change. I guess, I will have to use that word I dislike " compromise".

You could put knobbly tyres, rack, extra weight etc on you or your bike - that would slow you down while still giving you as much (or more workout).

Or how about adjusting your brakes so that they rub slightly - amazing how pace that takes off until you figure out what's going on! ;)

OP
OP
koro

koro

amasidlover said:
You could put knobbly tyres, rack, extra weight etc on you or your bike - that would slow you down while still giving you as much (or more workout).

Or how about adjusting your brakes so that they rub slightly - amazing how pace that takes off until you figure out what's going on! ;)

Lol...I thought about going out on my old mountain bike, and leave my nice new bike in the garage, but then again...

It must be a quite common problem though.

jayonabike