Road Bike Fit Advice - Compromises?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sildus

Hello

I'm a newbie so hope that this advice is ok to ask for on here - apologies if not, will have a dig around elsewhere.

I ride to work and do a bit of long riding and touring in summer. I've been using a steel framed hybrid that weighs in at about 16kg (cost £99) so am ready for something a but lighter and quicker.

I'm in the process of buying a road bike and have tried a few and done a fair bit of research. The one I'm most keen on is the specialized allez sport.

My issue is that I don't have very standard proportions for a bloke. My legs are proportionally longer, and my reach is shorter.

I used the online bike fit calculator and the suggestions for top tube and seat tube for my size are quite extreme. I'm not just going on that though.

The 52cm seemed to be the most comfortable, although I did feel that I got a bit more power from the 54cm. The reach on the 54cm was too much though and I could feel it in my shoulders when riding on the hoods. Even on the 52, I think I would have been a good deal more comfortable with the 2cm shorter reach. I definitely wouldn't want a smaller frame than the 52cm however because I have to have the saddle quite high to get my leg position right - and have to pop off the saddle to get feet down when stopping (just). Obviously the more I have to do this, the bigger the drop to the bars and I don't want to have an unnecessarily aggressive riding position the whole time.

I appreciate that I can adjust the saddle, flip the stem, try a slightly shorter stem length etc, but as a new-ish rider who has made size errors before, I don't want to mess with the bike so much that it is not balanced and set in a way that it was designed for. I can also slide the saddle forward but obviously I'd rather have it positioned in such a way as to have the relationship with the bottom bracket right and get the most amount of power to the pedals, rather than bodging it just to solve the reach problem.

My instinct is to go for the 52cm, and fit a different stem with a slightly different angle, and shorter length. Does this seem like a sensible solution. Are there any things to watch out for with this, or with moving the saddle up and forward? I appreciate that there'll need to be a compromise somewhere but am trying to make that compromise where it matters least. Would a shorter stem and different stem angle compromise the bike or its performance in to a significant degree?

Any thoughts or advice very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

mattobrien

Guru
It sounds like you need a good LBS who is experienced at making sure a bike fits its owner.

This is where the LBS out trumps the online retailer every time and it is sometimes worth paying a little more to get the right product that fits you, rather than ending up having saved a little by buying online but not getting quite the right fit.

You may find that you need to visit a few different shops to find one who is going to take the time and care to make sure you go away with the right bike for you.

Asking for advice is grand :thumbsup:

Have you been to a shop for advice and once you have the right size of frame minor tweaks (saddle and stem, etc) to get comfort will make no significant (if any) difference to performance on the contrary if you are more comfortable you can perform better ;) My instinct would be if your legs are more right on the 54cm go for that and make the tweaks (flipped and shorter stem) but I've not seen or measured you.

wanda2010

Guru
OP, I'd make sure the reach was as spot on as you could make it, enhanced with a shorter stem/different angle, then worry about height. The 52cm sounds like the best fit in this circumstance.

If you can touch the floor whilst seated the saddle is too low. Try raising the saddle a little at a time til you find your optimum height.

Good luck.

Biker Joe

Über Member
You might find that you will need to try out different makes of bikes as bike geometry varies between makes.
Very difficult to advise you in your situation from a distance.
As already said, a visit to the LBS is probably the best way forward where you can get one to one advice.
I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Top Bottom