Saddles (Yes again)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I would just like to share some thoughts I've had as regard to choosing a saddle.
I am under the impression that not enough cyclists, particularly those in the 'Newbie' category, are not educated enough in the subject of sit bone anatomy.
It is my opinion that the very first thing a cyclist should do, before buying a saddle, is to familiarize themselves with the 'sit bone' anatomy.
sitbones.jpg

The job of a saddle is to support you on the bike via your sit bones.
If the saddle supports you properly, the only pressure experienced should be on the sit bones and not on the 'perenium', the area between the sit bones where nerves and blood vessels are in danger of being restricted.

Most saddles are designed for average sized riders. However, many riders do not conform to the average, (How inconsiderate).
The distance between the sit bones varies between riders so it is good practice to measure the distance between sit bones, centre to centre, and to make a note of this before setting out to purchase a saddle.
Once you have this measurement you can then go to your local LBS, with a tape measure, and measure the saddles of your choice to see if they will accommodate your anatomy.
Choosing a saddle online is like buying a pair of shoes without knowing what size the shoes are.
Some quality manufacturers do state the sizes of their saddles which makes things easier. But ,generally speaking, I would consider it better to go in person to choose a saddle. There is also the possibility that you can try the saddle out beforehand.
As an aside, an exception could be made as regards to the infamous 'Brooks ' saddle.
These saddles are customised to your anatomy through the process of 'Breaking In'.
The disadvantage is that the breaking in period can last up to 150 miles of riding, with varying degrees of discomfort, before the saddle 'fits'.
However, if the process is carried out correctly, you have a saddle that is very comfortable and durable. Customised to your unique anatomy.
To summarize:- Knowing your anatomy and sit bone measurements gives you a much better opportunity to end up with a saddle that you will be comfortable with and will take you many miles with a minimum of discomfort.
Thanks for listening, (reading)
May your bums always be comfortable.:biggrin:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
A good way to measure your sit bones is to get some tin foil (or anything else with similar properties), put it down on carpeted stairs (note this is important, you need something soft under it and carpeted stairs is the best). Now sit on the tin foil in a way like you would riding a bike, so leaning slightly forward. When you get back up you should see two indentations that are deeper, these are your sit bones.

zizou

Veteran
Specialized dealers will measure it for you and the bigger ones (i am referring to the dealers here not the arses :biggrin: ) will also have demo saddles for you to try for a week or two until you find a style you like.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I went that way with my new bike. I just bought my first ever road bike (and first carbon-fibre bike) 3 months ago:hyper:. It's a Specialized Roubaix Expert SL4, and a free 2.5 hour fitting session was included with the purchase. They had a few bike-fitting related tools, one of these being a block of wood with a soft padding on top which holds impressions of your rear end for a short while after you sit on it.

During this session, the saddle got swapped out for another, then a few weeks later, I went back to get them to replace this by another roughly the same size but with more padding. Now it seems OK: I've done a 170km Victorian Alps ride on the bike and the saddle (and my fundament) held up reasonably well.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A good way to measure your sit bones is to get some tin foil (or anything else with similar properties), put it down on carpeted stairs (note this is important, you need something soft under it and carpeted stairs is the best). Now sit on the tin foil in a way like you would riding a bike, so leaning slightly forward. When you get back up you should see two indentations that are deeper, these are your sit bones.

another way to do it is spread some talcum powder on a flat surface , shows a lot easier than the foil method

OP
OP
Biker Joe

Biker Joe

Über Member
If you have a baby (or a cat like mine) talc all over the place is nothing new!

Hard to get a grip on things,then, at your place.:biggrin:

yello

Without disagreeing with the summary of advice offered, I would like to point out that not everyone believes sit bone width to be that important a factor in determining comfort. A factor, for sure, but not the most important one. A deal depends on what position you take on the bike.

There's an excellent article on the subject somewhere on the web that has been posted here before... hopefully they'll be along in a bit to post it again!

(Edit: was it vorsprung that posted it previously????)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hard to get a grip on things,then, at your place.:biggrin:

Long haired cat breed with a flat face (Persian) and white fur, to drink she dips her whole face into the water leaving her mane soaked, then ofc she eats and the powder from the dry food makes it look grotty and stains her fur (it also makes her fur smell of dry food, not that I go sniffing the cats face, but she sniffs mine!). So twice daily she gets wiped down with a baby wipe, her mane talc'd and then brushed. There is always talc all over the bathroom floor or hall carpet as her chin and mane is the only part she doesn't like being groomed and struggles!

lulubel

Über Member
Choosing a saddle online is like buying a pair of shoes without knowing what size the shoes are.

Only if the manufacturer doesn't provide measurements. If the manufacturer does provide measurements, and you can read reviews from other people who have bought the same saddle, you can get a pretty good idea of whether the saddle will suit you or not.

I've only ever bought one saddle online, and that's because I only needed to buy one. (I actually bought another one a year or so later because I like it so much I wanted an identical one for my other bike.)

I agree that buying a new saddle from a shop is better than online, if you can find a shop that has as wide a range as you can get online, and you can take it home and try it for at least a few rides (including a long one) and take it back and change it if it isn't right.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Brooks saddles don't "break in", they stretch and keep sagging until they weight is spread evenly enough. The process will be quicker if they get wet, exactly like a new pair of leather walking boots. They have a bolt, which lengthens them so as to take out the sag when it becomes excessive.

Top Bottom