Scary driver's view of (admittedly terrible) cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I don't think it's really a cycling issue. It sounds like some lout behaved appallingly towards this woman by spitting at her, and she harboured a fantasy about getting revenge. But she didn't actually do it. She sounds a little neurotic but nothing worse IMO.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
+1 What Hip Priest said.

It's fairly normal IMHO in a situation where you feel threatened but acted devensively and conservatively, to replay through a scenario of revenge where you arent a helpless victim. Im sure many cyclists have had incidents where a driver or pedestrian has scared the crap out of them or had a near miss and theyve let it go, only to later wish theyd "taught them a lesson". :smile:

ohnovino

Large Member
I'm astonished: not at the driver's view, but at the comments that followed. I can't see a single poster spouting the usual anti-cyclist nonsense, even when the thread is an open invitation for abuse.

Perhaps we really have turned a corner in this country now.

RWright

Guru
I bet the punk would not have been so bold as to beat on the car window of a full grown adult male. If that were my wife and child, that kid on the bike would probably not want to do that again if I could find him.

A decade or so ago, I remember my trainer using a phrase "We're not the thought police". We can't punish people for having bad thoughts, if they chose not to act on them.

I'm actually quite pleased at this, as otherwise I'd have been in trouble for the thoughts I've had about many of my 'customers'!

deanE

I do not think that this has anything to do about cycling. To me it is an example of how a lot of people feel threatened by others who clearly have no respect for others and the feeling of any utter powerlessness when confronted by such persons. The young man on the bike reacted violently when tooted and the woman, reasonably, was frightened by his behaviour. She was shocked by her later reactions. I do not think that the yob on the bike thought his attack on her was other than a laugh. Interestingly, if he had broken her window, the newspaper would have reported “man attacks mother and baby” whilst if she had later knocked him off his bike it would have been “motorist runs over boy”.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I am shocked at the fact the OP has visited the mumsnet forum.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The kid on the bike is breaking the law in a couple of ways so somebody should call the local Police non-emergency number and ask for a constable to be there looking out for him, preferably a constable on a bicycle.

Top Bottom