Secondhand Raleigh Junior Rigid MTB: lemon or worth a punt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All in all, I don't think I've done too badly with this. :blush:
To coin a phrase, absolutely fabulous!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yeah, it will. :smile: I feel like I had a blonde moment there. Except I'm a brunette. :laugh:

Haven't ordered the new post and bars yet, as I need to measure what size bolt I need for the seat tube.
Actually there is no right or wrong way to fit those clamps, it is usual to fit them behind the post but if you need to shift the seat further forwards than the rails allow then rotating them 180 degrees is a useful method.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
That bimble got put off until this afternoon as I didn't feel well yesterday. There was a dry window in the weather at teatime, so I had a good hour on the bike in some absolutely atrocious road conditions. The rain has washed a lot of gravel onto the roads, plus they're lifting the potato crop, so everything is covered in a good half inch of slimy mud.

Moving the saddle clamp has made a big difference. Still not quite enough, but I don't feel cramped anymore. And it makes the bars not feel quite so wide. Jury is still out on the Selle SMP saddle.

Front brake needs adjusting as it's a little spongy, and I really need to do something about the front mudguard, as it's a bit shite. The one-size-fits-all design means it doesn't sit close enough to the wheel, and as a result, it is most effective at flicking mud over my feet and the downtube. The front fork has eyelets, so I'm thinking that if I can get a mudguard stay from somewhere, I can fix that to the guard and thus bring it in closer to the wheel. I also plan on trimming back that lip on the guard and fitting a plastic flap instead.

The bike felt really good on roads and in conditions that I wouldn't have risked riding the hybrid on, never mind the roadie. I'd forgotten just how comfortable a decent steel frame on fat tyres can be. Yes, it's heavy, but it feels solid and reassuring rather than staid and lardy. In other words, pretty well much what I wanted. :smile:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Just a bit of an update a few months down the line...

Didn't get nearly as much riding done over the winter as I'd have liked to due to the weather amongst other things, but now that things are on the up, I'm really starting to enjoy the bike. I've left the bars and seat post for now, likewise the mudguards while I track down better ones. But the Selle SMP has gone, and has been replaced with a Madison Leia - a twin of the currently unobtainable Charge Ladle.

NR1F7043_small.jpg

Have been having an absolute blast riding on gravel roads, farm tracks and bridleways, and the bike has barely missed a beat. The challenge has been getting the tyre pressures right - low enough to be sure-footed on the loose stuff, but high enough to make riding on tarmac not feel like wading through treacle. I'll get there, though.

I'd say that it's been well worth the time, effort and money to do this, because I've now got a bike that puts a grin on my face and that I want to get out there and ride. Better still, it's totally unique and bespoke to me. Admittedly it's not the hardtail that I had originally been looking for, but now that I've got some decent mileage on the Max under my belt, I can categorically say that for the riding I do, I don't really need the suspension forks.

Anyways, it's off to go get the bike dirty again. I need to go and vote, and everything is wet after this morning's deluges...

DRM

Guru
The old Raleigh MTB that I started on is now just about finished and rideable, it looks like a similar style of frame, although it’s got 26” wheels, and it’s in metallic green paint, I’ve fitted Vittoria Adventure Tech 26x 1.9” tyres, a Spa triple chain set, new shimano brake and gear cables, new Tektro cantilever brakes, a Tourney rear derailleur, sun race 14x28 freewheel, new chain and a new cassette square taper BB, all of which replace originals that were scrap and totally worn out, as well as SKS Mudguards, a rack and panniers, so it weighs a ton compared to my others, but for around £110 I’ve got a usable hybrid utility bike, that as it stood originally was scrap as so much was beyond saving, but so far it’s gone on a trip to the shops, a run to the chemists and to the polling station and it works well, and I’m not afraid to lock it to something while in the shops, so I think it’s a winner all round, and I’ve got another useable bike

Top Bottom