See, I told you so!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Phoebus

The guide states: "Forget castles, kilts, bagpipes and tartan.
You come for the cocktails, cuisine and designer chic.

gavintc

Guru
My own experience of Glasgow is that if you keep to the centre it is nice, cosmopolitan and has lots to offer. Move about a mile in any direction from the centre and you start to feel uncomfortable, the people in the doorways look a little shady, move a further couple of miles out and you break out in a pleasant suburbia. A ring of steel surrounds a pleasant and well developed core.

Greedo

mmmmm. Like every city in Europe then!

gavintc said:
My own experience of Glasgow is that if you keep to the centre it is nice, cosmopolitan and has lots to offer. Move about a mile in any direction from the centre and you start to feel uncomfortable, the people in the doorways look a little shady, move a further couple of miles out and you break out in a pleasant suburbia. A ring of steel surrounds a pleasant and well developed core.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

gavintc said:

So you've never been to the West End or the South Side then...:welcome:

Mr Pig

magnatom said:
So you've never been to the West End

The west end used to be nice but it's getting pretty grotty these days.

In my opinion the nicest town to visit is Scotland is St Andrews. I only go to Glasgow if I have to.

gavintc

Guru
Head west and north from the M8 and you encounter some rough areas. A walk back from SECC into the city demands that you keep your wits about you. As soon as you cross the river it is ned territory. The High St and eastward is less than pleasant. It is not the same in every city. I propose Glasgow has a higher proportion of low cost housing abutting the city centre than in most other cities.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

gavintc said:
Head west and north from the M8 and you encounter some rough areas. A walk back from SECC into the city demands that you keep your wits about you. As soon as you cross the river it is ned territory. The High St and eastward is less than pleasant. It is not the same in every city. I propose Glasgow has a higher proportion of low cost housing abutting the city centre than in most other cities.

I'll grant you that there are areas in the east that are close to the city centre that aren't great, but to the west? Walk west and there are no problems at all! Sure there are some areas to the north west that aren't so great, Possil, Maryhill (although I stayed on the edge of Maryhill for a good few years and had no problems). I really don't understand why you would need to have your wits about you walking from the SECC to the city centre. A lot of that area is undergoing regeneration. There is a lot going on at Tradeston for instance. You didn't even mention south, what about the transformation of the Gorbals!

All I'm trying to say is that there is no such thing as a ring of steel. Glasgow has a bad reputation, but a lot of that is historical and dare I say it hysterical. I have lived in and around Glasgow for all of my life and in that time I have witnessed one serious fight.

Tetedelacourse

I see Beirut made it onto the list too...

Glasgow has major deprivation issues, that cannot be disputed. Loosely localised to the South, East and North of the centre. But I'd agree that you can safely walk out to the West End without encountering trouble. So a horseshoe of steel :welcome:

magnatom said:
Sure there are some areas to the north west that aren't so great, Possil, Maryhill (although I stayed on the edge of Maryhill for a good few years and had no problems).
My last visit to Glasgow (outwith Pedal for Scotland) was to a site at Garscube Road and I never had a problem either but then again that was in daylight.

Top Bottom