Should a cyclist be allowed on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NigC

summerdays said:
What is the meaning of this road sign....:

2uzxb90.jpg

and does it apply to cyclists?

I believe something like: No motor vehicles allowed. So no, it does not apply to bikes (now I'm running for cover coz I haven't checked :biggrin:)

EDIT: So now I've checked.... No vehicles except bicycles being pushed - so probably does apply to bikes :laugh:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
NigC said:
I believe something like: No motor vehicles allowed. So no, it does not apply to bikes (now I'm running for cover coz I haven't checked :biggrin:)

EDIT: So now I've checked.... No vehicles except bicycles being pushed - so probably does apply to bikes :laugh:

The No Motor Vehicle sign looks like this:

5yamtf.jpg

The other was NO VEHICLES and does apply to bicycles unless they are being pushed.

Nice idea, and especially the normalising of cycling, but what happens if you're disabled/unhealthy/unbalancable/incapable of riding a bicycle?

For those that absolutely can't cycle, there could be exemptions. For those with balance problems there would be loan trikes, and for the unhealthy....extra wide saddles. :biggrin:

NigC

summerdays said:
The No Motor Vehicle sign looks like this:

5yamtf.jpg

The other was NO VEHICLES and does apply to bicycles unless they are being pushed.

Yeah, I realised what the "no vehicles" looked like as soon as I posted - that's why I checked :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think the problem is that once you have passed the test there isn't any need from a testing point of view for you to have to remember anything that is in the highway code. I think that we should all have to resit a small highway code and hazard perception test perhaps every 10 years and those that fail perhaps have to retake and have their driving observed on a journey to see if they are ok on the road or need to retake the whole full test.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
NigC said:
Yeah, I realised what the "no vehicles" looked like as soon as I posted - that's why I checked :biggrin:

The No Vehicles sign is not widely recognised ... though to be honest it is not widely used either:biggrin:.

Davidc

Guru
When is a bicycle a road vehicle, and when is it not a road vehicle?

I'd assume much the same as for any other vehicle. Is a 4x4 in a field a road vehicle?

Is a motorbike taking part in a motocross type event a road vehicle?

What about on track motor sport? Is an F1 car a road vehicle?

I don't know the answers but would be interested to know, as this has crossed my mind before.

Davidc

Guru
Another thing that occurred to me as I was looking for a link to the Vienna CORT was how do tricycles fare.

The convention says a bicycle is a vehicle and has 2 wheels and is propelled by its rider etc. As the trike has 3 wheels is it also a vehicle? Does it have the same rights as a bicycle which exist as a result of being a vehicle? Do road laws for vehicles apply to trikes?

I would hope that the answers are all yes, but does anyone know?

brokenbetty

Über Member
Nice idea, and especially the normalising of cycling, but what happens if you're disabled/unhealthy/unbalancable/incapable of riding a bicycle?

That's not a but - it's just an implementation detail. We make exceptions for the incapable and the unhealthy either get healthy or take a taxi.

Zippy

I sometimes get shouted at by drivers for driving in a local bus lane during its inactive period, because drivers don't read road signs.

I'm gonna show my driving ignorance now - I'm not sure how to tell when a bus lane is open or closed to car users to be honest. If it's small (like on parking restriction notices) then I can't see how you can read it fast enough when travelling between 20 - 30 mph.

Am I missing something?

There is usually a blue rectangle sign telling you when the lane is in operation. Can't say I have found it particularly hard to see the times when driving. I may miss the first sign, but there are usually a few along he route.

brokenbetty

Über Member
Zippy said:
I'm gonna show my driving ignorance now - I'm not sure how to tell when a bus lane is open or closed to car users to be honest. If it's small (like on parking restriction notices) then I can't see how you can read it fast enough when travelling between 20 - 30 mph.

Am I missing something?

If you are travelling at 30mph you aren't sitting in a traffic jam so it doesn't matter that you aren't using the bus lane.

If it's choked up then you aren't going that fast and you can see the signs so you'll know if you can use it :biggrin:

Top Bottom