Shoved off bike by double decker bus !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1 What was the situation regarding parked cars, and traffic moving in the opposite direction, which the bus driver (but not the OP) was making allowances for?

2 Did the OP not use his/her bicycle as 'a weapon' when he/she used it to try to force the bus driver into a certain course of action?

BB

1 if that's the case the bus should have not have overtaken till it's safe

2 how by laying it down you could hardly shove the bus over with it,and that was done to stop the drive leaving after hitting the op with the bus.

Goto10

Was the OP aware of the bus's approach (was he/she using a rearview mirror? how often did he/she look behind?)

Was the OP simply taken by surprise when the bus came past? Was he/she listening to music?

What was the situation regarding parked cars, and traffic moving in the opposite direction, which the bus driver (but not the OP) was making allowances for?

Did the OP not use his/her bicycle as 'a weapon' when he/she used it to try to force the bus driver into a certain course of action?

Much more information is needed here

BB

Mr Troll,
It wouldn't have mattered if the cyclist wore a Tshirt that said "Please drive your bus into me!" whilst singing "Drive your bus into me" - as a 'professional' driver the bus driver is meant to show appreciation of how dangerous the vehicle he drives is and act accordingly.
My friend is in the armed police, I'm pretty sure he'd rise above someone antagonising him ("trying to force him into a certain course of action") and not deliberately shoot them in the face. The bus driver is clearly a tool.

Bottom Bracket

Mr Troll,
It wouldn't have mattered if the cyclist wore a Tshirt that said "Please drive your bus into me!" whilst singing "Drive your bus into me" - as a 'professional' driver the bus driver is meant to show appreciation of how dangerous the vehicle he drives is and act accordingly.
My friend is in the armed police, I'm pretty sure he'd rise above someone antagonising him ("trying to force him into a certain course of action") and not deliberately shoot them in the face. The bus driver is clearly a tool.

If you swap the words 'bus', 'cyclist', 'bus driver' etc around in the original text of your post, you come up with a similarly convincing 'truth' - you hear what you wanna hear, and you see what you wanna see

How do you know that it is me who is the troll? Maybe the OP is a troll - maybe we are in it together LOL

I came on this site a few days ago as a 'born-again cyclist', in search of a few like-minded souls, but I am a professional driver, and I am horrified by the degree of aggression which some cyclists display

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
And yet we as both drivers and cyclists are horrified by how you excuse the actions of drivers, and blame cyclists, Bottom Bracket. I suggest you go and have a read of TRL549 and have a day of shame as a cycle-racist.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Let's get this straight!

The bus stopped 100 yards in front of you - presumably at a bus stop (had you noticed that you and the bus were approaching a bus stop?)

You pulled in front of the stationary bus and started to abuse the driver - presumably whilst he was dealing with his customers

The bus driver behaved as irrationally as you

End of story

BB

Abuse the driver ? Hardly. I reserve the right to let a driver know of his dangerous actions. Hopefully we all benefit by such actions, rather than letting a bullying or careless driver just carry on
regardless.

If the OP had possessed the means to knock over the bus driver, then I feel certain that he/she would have used it in the heat of the moment!

Road Safety depends on Co-operation and Anticipation - buses regularly stop at bus stops, and cyclists have to look ahead

BB
Wow, thats a huge assumption to assume i would have knocked over the driver, had i had the means. Why would you say that ? You dont know me, you were'nt there, you didnt see what happened or how i behaved.

I expect that KeyboardWarriorSight will be included in the next update of CyclistHeadCamSight

But buses will continue to stop at bus stops, and cyclists will continue to feel hard-done-by

BB

My wifes been on about getting a helmet cam for some time. generally ive shied away. I watch some of the footage and actually dont see some of the incidents as seriously as the poster sees it. If i had one, i'd be wearing it 99.999% of the time for no reason because close passes, incidents, for the most part are part of cycling. I'm not generally going to get hooked up in it.

Was the OP aware of the bus's approach (was he/she using a rearview mirror? how often did he/she look behind?)

Was the OP simply taken by surprise when the bus came past? Was he/she listening to music?

What was the situation regarding parked cars, and traffic moving in the opposite direction, which the bus driver (but not the OP) was making allowances for?

Did the OP not use his/her bicycle as 'a weapon' when he/she used it to try to force the bus driver into a certain course of action?

Much more information is needed here

BB

15/20 tonne of metal passing you at circa 30mph, circa 400mm away does surprise you somewhat. I did consider banging on the side of the bus as he passed (i could have done so easily) but the distance just made that too dangerous.
I look behind as often as safety dictates. And thats regularly, but in moderately heavy traffic, sometimes its better to keep your eyes on the road.
No music. It sounds as though you're looking for stupidity on my behalf...why ?

If you swap the words 'bus', 'cyclist', 'bus driver' etc around in the original text of your post, you come up with a similarly convincing 'truth' - you hear what you wanna hear, and you see what you wanna see

How do you know that it is me who is the troll? Maybe the OP is a troll - maybe we are in it together LOL

I came on this site a few days ago as a 'born-again cyclist', in search of a few like-minded souls, but I am a professional driver, and I am horrified by the degree of aggression which some cyclists display
I suspect the horrific aggression you've witnessed has clouded you judgement.

No hard feelings BB ;) , thats the problem with posting incidents on t'internet. Its open to interpretation. but youve made a lot of unfounded assumptions. Dont let it spoil the day though.
I really hope the bus has CCTV, it should vindicate me at all levels. The close pass, the fact i made no threatening words or gestures to the driver...but because its a slightly older bus, not on normal public 'duties', it may not have it fitted. But here's hoping anyway.

thelawnet

Let's get this straight!

The bus stopped 100 yards in front of you - presumably at a bus stop (had you noticed that you and the bus were approaching a bus stop?)

You pulled in front of the stationary bus and started to abuse the driver - presumably whilst he was dealing with his customers

The bus driver behaved as irrationally as you

End of story

BB

AFAICS, the situation is this:

cyclist making good progress in cycle lane, not undertaking, just going along
bus overtakes from behind, knowing he's going to have to cut in, which he does, putting cyclist at risk.

Bus driver has misjudged or disregarded cyclist's speed.

If you're passing stationary traffic using a cycle lane at speed, you do need to look out for left turns and bus stops, but in this case the driver of a vehicle BEHIND the cyclist should have waited the 5-10 seconds BEHIND him rather than cutting him up.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Oh dear...

Bottom Bracket appears to have taken some mescaline or something... I hope he/she wakes up today and feels suitably ashamed of themselves for being a trolling dick on here.

Reactions: akb

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
My wifes been on about getting a helmet cam for some time. generally ive shied away. I watch some of the footage and actually dont see some of the incidents as seriously as the poster sees it. If i had one, i'd be wearing it 99.999% of the time for no reason because close passes, incidents, for the most part are part of cycling. I'm not generally going to get hooked up in it.

This is the problem with what some of us are doing. Peoples perception is that close passes etc.. are not really a problem because they are part of cycling. That doesn't mean it's right or that we should put up with it.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
This is the problem with what some of us are doing. Peoples perception is that close passes etc.. are not really a problem because they are part of cycling. That doesn't mean it's right or that we should put up with it.

Its true, it is a double edged sword. Had i been wearing one, i would have absolute proof of the drivers actions, closeness etc.
But generally wearing one, i dont think its for me. As said, its a matter of degree, one mans close pass is anothers shrug of the shoulders. I'm here to enjoy cycling, and ive done ok so far for god knows how many years by berating the very very occasional driver that does something stupid. If i think about it, situations like this come along maybe twice a year for me at the most.
I'm not against cams, but will either a cam or berating a driver change his attitudes, maybe, maybe not. But i'll not dwell a second too long on a negative incident and let it spoil my cycling.

ferret fur

I'm not against cams, but will either a cam or berating a driver change his attitudes

From Cover Blown thread:

I took the bus today, and it looked like it was a new driver as there were 2 other drivers stood next to him and his inability to use the ticket machine. When he was approaching a cyclist one of the drivers said "Be careful, they have cameras now, one of the *****s reported me".

Bman

Guru
Exactly what I was going to say Ferret Fur.

We dont need to change their attitudes, just make them realise they wont always get away with it.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Exactly what I was going to say Ferret Fur.

We dont need to change their attitudes, just make them realise they wont always get away with it.

Oh agreed, but i just use a different method. Which is why i always say i reserve the right to berate a bad driver. Puts them in a slightly embarrassing position if nothing else. Why should they get away with it scot free.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Its true, it is a double edged sword. Had i been wearing one, i would have absolute proof of the drivers actions, closeness etc.
But generally wearing one, i dont think its for me. As said, its a matter of degree, one mans close pass is anothers shrug of the shoulders. I'm here to enjoy cycling, and ive done ok so far for god knows how many years by berating the very very occasional driver that does something stupid. If i think about it, situations like this come along maybe twice a year for me at the most.
I'm not against cams, but will either a cam or berating a driver change his attitudes, maybe, maybe not. But i'll not dwell a second too long on a negative incident and let it spoil my cycling.

It has to be your choice whether to wear one or not. Some have used them to good effect, some have used them to show the fun and enjoyable side of cycling (check out alexwarrior and chavez cycling on youtube - I'm subscfribed so if you find my channel they're in there)

Top Bottom