Shoved off bike by double decker bus !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bottom Bracket

Well it had to happen sometime, my first ever really bad altercation with a driver.
In cycle lane making fair headway, moderate traffic, double decker bus (a school run one i think) passed me so so close at about 30 mph, then swerved into the cycle lane .
:angry: :angry: he's going to regret that. He's pulled up about 100 yards in front to let some kids off. Straight in front of his bus, stopped by his windscreen and 'gave him a piece of my mind' while he's stopped.
I'm about 2ft from his windscreen, he drove forward to halve the distance while i was looking for the bus number (in case i decide to report him)...then drove forward again and knocked me straight off :ohmy: :ohmy:

Oh boy, now its serious. The plank only had to put his hand up and apologise for the close pass, i'd have probably given him a bit more of a tongue lashing and rode off (as you do countless times if you commute seriously)

Knocked on the bus door (my bike's still laid in front of the bus), he opened it and i got on to berate him (funny thing is i cant really remember what i said). He's got out of his seat, said something about 'you were in the cycle lane wer'nt you'...got off the bus, picked up the Bianchi, THREW it onto the path :ohmy: :ohmy: where it bounced all over and hit a lampost, then he started to drive off...me still on the bus while i was getting witness details from one lad who offered.
i told him, if the bikes gone when i get back, you're companies going to pay £800 for it. I dont think so, he said, i really do, i said.
Demanded he let me off, which he did albeit not immediately. Walked back (maybe 1/4 mile) , retrieved bike which now has damaged chainring, scuff to bartape, scuffs to the RD, damaged front wheel rim, damaged saddle, various light scratches...ive got a sore calf muscle and other minor sore bits, slight tear in my longs.

He's dug himself a bottomless pit. All he had to do was apologise, that'd have been enough for me.

Police contacted, bus reg taken, witness has been in touch so ive got his number. Just got to wait for the police to come now. I reckon maybe £150 in damage to the bike and my clothing.

Jesus, where do some people leave their brains ??? He must be sat at home now, praying i dont contact the police. Too late my friend.

Will the police let me know who the owners are so i can claim for the damage?

Let's get this straight!

The bus stopped 100 yards in front of you - presumably at a bus stop (had you noticed that you and the bus were approaching a bus stop?)

You pulled in front of the stationary bus and started to abuse the driver - presumably whilst he was dealing with his customers

The bus driver behaved as irrationally as you

End of story

BB

straas

Matt
Let's get this straight!

The bus stopped 100 yards in front of you - presumably at a bus stop (had you noticed that you and the bus were approaching a bus stop?)

You pulled in front of the stationary bus and started to abuse the driver - presumably whilst he was dealing with his customers

End of story

BB

I'm not sure shouting at someone is in the same league as using a bus to knock them over, if I'm quite honest.

Bottom Bracket

I'm not sure shouting at someone is in the same league as using a bus to knock them over, if I'm quite honest.

If the OP had possessed the means to knock over the bus driver, then I feel certain that he/she would have used it in the heat of the moment!

Road Safety depends on Co-operation and Anticipation - buses regularly stop at bus stops, and cyclists have to look ahead

BB

Bottom Bracket

I wish I had 20/20 Internet Forum Keyboard Warrior sight when I'm riding out on the road.

I expect that KeyboardWarriorSight will be included in the next update of CyclistHeadCamSight

But buses will continue to stop at bus stops, and cyclists will continue to feel hard-done-by

BB

Goto10

Let's get this straight!

End of story

BB

Yes, intentionally ramming a cyclist with a bus is just as crazy as venting at someone verbally.
rolleyes.gif

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Got to assume troll here, I can't imagine anyone right minded person dismissing using a bus, or any vehicle, as a weapon, as a heat of the moment thing.

Bman

Guru
Let's get this straight!

End of story

BB

Wow, I had to check if this post was by Bonj!

Bottom Bracket

Was the OP aware of the bus's approach (was he/she using a rearview mirror? how often did he/she look behind?)

Was the OP simply taken by surprise when the bus came past? Was he/she listening to music?

What was the situation regarding parked cars, and traffic moving in the opposite direction, which the bus driver (but not the OP) was making allowances for?

Did the OP not use his/her bicycle as 'a weapon' when he/she used it to try to force the bus driver into a certain course of action?

Much more information is needed here

BB

Top Bottom