Show us your.......newbie progress!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old Steve

image.jpg

First proper go at a hill.. ( or a bump to some of you)
I went out last Saturday morning and was going to try some hilly stuff, but got half way round and got called back home..
So I decided to have another go this morning and although this circuit is only fairly short it is a lot hillier that the twenty mile rides I am doing on the flat..
The 14.4 mph average was not particularly fast and the times were not quick... But the speed coming down the other side felt pretty dam quick.. All in all I felt that I accomplished something for a 55 year old geezer that has only been riding since the beginning of June.....can't wait to try it on my new road bike ( arriving in two weeks ish )

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
@Old Steve your as quick as me, if not quicker. :okay:

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
@Old Steve you will, sometimes you will feel your not or even going backwards, but keep at it as improvements to your body are continuing in the background that you don't notice, then one day you will a big smile on your face because something that was always difficult all of a sudden is easy.

Oddity here just popped over to my uncles, and the Km covered was exactly the same as my avg sp in mph 13.86

Old Steve

@Old Steve you will, sometimes you will feel your not or even going backwards, but keep at it as improvements to your body are continuing in the background that you don't notice, then one day you will a big smile on your face because something that was always difficult all of a sudden is easy.

Oddity here just popped over to my uncles, and the Km covered was exactly the same as my avg sp in mph 13.86

The good thing that has come out of this is.. After letting myself get overweight and unfit I decided to go on a diet and then a while later later get myself a bike to help with losing weight and fitness.. I got my bike in the beginning of June and was on my diet a few weeks before ( when I weighed in at just under 15 stone I think ) I have now covered 778 miles and weigh in at 12 stone 6 pounds ( with my weight still dropping weekly ) but the thing is I now love cycling and just can't get out on my enough..

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
Well two new 700x223c Gatorskins fitted total time less than 30 mins, must be the warmer weather that made them easy to fit today.

Whats more I think I have sourced a new headset (those that know me, will know how its bugged me over the years)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
Broke my target of 1000 miles this year, quite happy with that and still plenty of time left in the year to get the total higher :smile: not getting any quicker though lol
It will come.
I am only a smidgen behind you now 930 ish but 400 of that has been since the start of July speed is up from 12.91mph avg in May to 14.61 this month so far, but it could be just that I haven't climbed as much per mile as I did in May.

Last edited:

RegG

Über Member
I clocked up a 1000 miles so far this year yesterday giving me a total of 1900 since I started seriously in May last year. I set myself a goal of 1250 miles this year which should be easily achievable at my current rate. Average speed not really increasing though..... when out on my own I seem to get to around 14 mph but the 15 mph average (the next step for me) seems to be ever elusive!

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
@RegG The only times I hit over 15mph avg for a month is when I do a lot of riding, 4-500+ miles a month, but I don't have the lightest of bikes (12.5Kg stripped) and I usually carry 3+Kg of kit at the moment.
There are many factors involved in average speeds an often overlooked factor is the type of riding, especially stop start riding, this can really impact average speeds.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
Talking of avg speed, the new tyres are an improvement, not often I average 12+mph into town and back, 1 mile either way +100ft elevation both ways, give or take. next job see if this headset fits.

Top Bottom