Show us your.......newbie progress!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
@Nigelnaturist

Nice to hear that you are still out there!

I'm heavier that you at the moment! :sad:
Its been a difficult few months especially Dec/Jan.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
@SpokeyDokey not sure about the weight thing tipping the scales at nearly 14st I was 11 last Oct, but then between early Dec and end of Feb I only did 139 miles (the new flat is not very conducive to just nipping out for a quick blast) plus Jan a Feb I hardly got out of bed bar to go to the off license (I think maybe you get the idea how bad things have been), however since March I have done 216 miles 120 of which in this month and 88 of those in the last 7 days not great cycling by any means, but apart from a nasty little bump coming home from the hospital in Wakefield (12.5 miles from the flat) at about 2.30am last Sunday I have managed any riding I have needed to do.
My edge 705 has developed a fault as in it wont reset and save a history file though it does record ride data totals and lap info so I can at least construct a history tcx from that if a bit long winded, however yesterday it died in the rain (typical give the bike a bit of care Thurs i.e. hubs and drive chain clean and what does it do next time out) anyway all is not lost as it was an exact copy of the ride on Tues bar speed/time/cad/hr so I will edit date in that file for strava/garmin/rwgps. and as expected its dried over night and is working this morning.
On Thurs I took the plunge and got a Edge 800 on ebay £132 if it lasts as long as 705 (nearly 3 years) I might have enough in my bike fund (£5/wk) for another.
The reason the mileage has gone up this last week or so is the ex is very ill (the trips to the hospital, round trip 25 miles), but now I am riding and the recent outlay might just encourage me to continue (which I will have to whilst ex is so ill anyway) and as importantly stay of the pop.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
@SpokeyDokey not sure about the weight thing tipping the scales at nearly 14st I was 11 last Oct, but then between early Dec and end of Feb I only did 139 miles (the new flat is not very conducive to just nipping out for a quick blast) plus Jan a Feb I hardly got out of bed bar to go to the off license (I think maybe you get the idea how bad things have been), however since March I have done 216 miles 120 of which in this month and 88 of those in the last 7 days not great cycling by any means, but apart from a nasty little bump coming home from the hospital in Wakefield (12.5 miles from the flat) at about 2.30am last Sunday I have managed any riding I have needed to do.
My edge 705 has developed a fault as in it wont reset and save a history file though it does record ride data totals and lap info so I can at least construct a history tcx from that if a bit long winded, however yesterday it died in the rain (typical give the bike a bit of care Thurs i.e. hubs and drive chain clean and what does it do next time out) anyway all is not lost as it was an exact copy of the ride on Tues bar speed/time/cad/hr so I will edit date in that file for strava/garmin/rwgps. and as expected its dried over night and is working this morning.
On Thurs I took the plunge and got a Edge 800 on ebay £132 if it lasts as long as 705 (nearly 3 years) I might have enough in my bike fund (£5/wk) for another.
The reason the mileage has gone up this last week or so is the ex is very ill (the trips to the hospital, round trip 25 miles), but now I am riding and the recent outlay might just encourage me to continue (which I will have to whilst ex is so ill anyway) and as importantly stay of the pop.

Good to hear from you Nigel.

Sorry about your ex though.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
Good to hear from you Nigel.

Sorry about your ex though.
Thanks, shes been in hospital a week and no signs of here coming out soon, but that might change once the new antibiotics shes on kick in as they seem to be starting to do so today.
A lot has changed since I was really on here last or did any consistent riding, however as poor as my winter figures are barely 25 miles a week in one ride and then with many missed weeks (7 I think with no riding till week 4) this last week I have clocked up just over 100 miles first time since end of Oct, just goes to show you might lose the edge but it does take a long time to really lose it all. To date I am ahead of last year and this month a bit quicker than I was last May which was the first month last year I topped 100 miles, but the bike is in better shape than a year ago.

puffinbilly

Veteran
Very impressive Nigel - seems like a lot of us are in the same boat - coming back to cycling after prolonged absent due to illness or other problems - I've been off the bike for nearly fifteen months due to family illness - now seeing light at the end of the tunnel and trying to get out on the bike again.

DaveyM

Über Member
It is good to hear that you are making it out on the bike again.
1 million foot of climbing is some effort Nigel!

I always pay great attention to climbing feet.
Did 8600 feet in one ride last year!
Max of 25,000 in one month

Total standing at 525,000

Glad to see you are getting out @Nigelnaturist
Sorry about ex

Currently I have been building up again following an injury
Seems to take longer when you are 65!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm up to around 2.4m feet, I do about 600,000 feet a year, You are right thought it is due to the distances and not epic climbing, I only average around 30 feet per mile
Climbing used to be strong point but sadly not these days. Combination of age, carrying extra weight and legs that don't seem to have felt great for some time now. Still plodding along though and I have to at least attempt some to get anywhere around here.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
@Stonechat thanks never actually stopped, just from Dec to this month its been more of what I had to do opposed to want to (same true of this month really and most of last year to be honest) but the new (to me) garmin might be a bit of an incentive especially as it cost more than I get a week.
The max monthly elevation I have is 56,254 but I think the edge 500 (I think) when corrected on rwgps at the time tended to be high I think, the unit elevation was 44,007 which is 35.03ft/mile which to be honest is probably closer to the mark but I did do 1,256 miles that month that was Aug 2013.

@Mo1959 I am carrying an extra 14Kg (which is nearly 3st) more than last Sept or so, and I am carrying my D-lock as I am usually in Wakefield not as far as i know a high crime city but you never know but the locks weight is nothing compared with mine.

Top Bottom