Show us your.......newbie progress!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
My birth certificate says I am 57 but my head tells me i am in my late 30s to early 40s. Oh my!

Strange phenomenon this - my birth cert says I will be 64 this week, but I feel about 45! What is happening?!?! Is it global warming or Brexit?!?!

Tal

Strange phenomenon this - my birth cert says I will be 64 this week, but I feel about 45! What is happening?!?! Is it global warming or Brexit?!?!

Well, I must live on a different globe as the global warming supporters! LOL We are well below freezing and will be for quite a while. I live in the northern US. My brother lives in the southern US and they are below freezing, too. Places that never see snow are getting it this year.

So what would you call that? Anti-global warming? Kind of like anti-ageing? :hyper:

Well, I must live on a different globe as the global warming supporters! LOL We are well below freezing and will be for quite a while. I live in the northern US. My brother lives in the southern US and they are below freezing, too. Places that never see snow are getting it this year.

So what would you call that? Anti-global warming? Kind of like anti-ageing? :hyper:
It's all part of global warming, more extreme weather patterns

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Went on an outing today with my brother, it was my first time really cycling in about 9 years (other than the two around-the-neighborhood treks the past week when it got above freezing). We went 15 miles, 11 of it through sludgy mud on a trail that is normally dirt that gave us a bit of a tough time, and I must say I worked really hard but feel accomplished! I made it the entire ride and he was so sweet checking on me and slowing down when I needed, just like I used to do for him when he was younger and learning to ride as a teen :highfive: My whole body feels like it got a workout, and I am tired, but proud that I got through my first big ride. Now onto a 20-mile! I can't wait to see how hard I can push myself and how far I can go this year! We are all going to do great!!!

Harv

4 8 15 16 23 42
Went on an outing today with my brother, it was my first time really cycling in about 9 years (other than the two around-the-neighborhood treks the past week when it got above freezing). We went 15 miles, 11 of it through sludgy mud on a trail that is normally dirt that gave us a bit of a tough time, and I must say I worked really hard but feel accomplished! I made it the entire ride and he was so sweet checking on me and slowing down when I needed, just like I used to do for him when he was younger and learning to ride as a teen :highfive: My whole body feels like it got a workout, and I am tired, but proud that I got through my first big ride. Now onto a 20-mile! I can't wait to see how hard I can push myself and how far I can go this year! We are all going to do great!!!

Great to hear. Keep going. If you want to record your rides and progress I recommend you use Strava.

JhnBssll

Veteran
341 miles done this January - that's compared to 329 miles in the first 6 months of last year :dance:Bit of a step change there and I'm currently 129 miles ahead of pace to hit my 2500 mile target for the year :okay:

I have to admit I feel pretty good for it too and the belly is beginning to flatten out :laugh: 9kg to go until I'm where I really should be weight wise but if I keep stomping on the pedals I should get there in no time ^_^

This forum has been ace for keeping me interested and getting me out in the cold so a big thanks to you all :notworthy:

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Second time biking to work today, and I did not get lost or forget my water this time! I didn't stop except for red lights and stop signs, and to tell a lady what a beautiful dog she had (she was walking a brown and tan Miniature Pinscher that looked just like our doggy that we lost a year ago, I miss my snuggle pup) so I feel accomplished!

Ok, edited to add that while I did not get lost going to work this time... I did take a wrong turn going home. :cry: ended up fine after I had to completely turn around and go up what seemed to be the steepest hill in the county, but now all is well and I made better time than last time. Each commute will get better, I hope!

Last edited:

Oldun

Regular
Hi guys interesting reading. I’d be interested to know how I’m doing compared to others. Now been riding on the roads for about 7 months. I’m 70 now always been fairly active. But overweight and last year was told I was pre-diabetic. Hence the bike. I’ve lost 2 1/2 stone and put on quite a bit of muscle on my upper legs. I’m now on my second road bike now, I’ve got a Bianchi with countervail technology, which certainly smooths out the poor roads in Berkshire. 7 months ago a 12-15 miles ride was the norm just before Xmas managed usually 30 miles now up to 40. Which takes between 3 hrs 10 mins best to 3hrs 30 mins dependant on hills etc. I would like to get to 50 miles a ride ( it’s nothing compared to most cyclists I know ) and a tad more if possible. My main area of concern is my average speed although I can now comfortably ride at 17-19 mph on the flat during the first hour thereafter I’m really struggling. I can’t seem to get past an average of 15.5 mph no matter what I do. I have taken food bars, plenty of water to keep hydrated. Am I expecting too much too soon, can I do anything else. Sorry for the long ramble. And sincere apologies if I’ve bored many.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Hi guys interesting reading. I’d be interested to know how I’m doing compared to others. Now been riding on the roads for about 7 months. I’m 70 now always been fairly active. But overweight and last year was told I was pre-diabetic. Hence the bike. I’ve lost 2 1/2 stone and put on quite a bit of muscle on my upper legs. I’m now on my second road bike now, I’ve got a Bianchi with countervail technology, which certainly smooths out the poor roads in Berkshire. 7 months ago a 12-15 miles ride was the norm just before Xmas managed usually 30 miles now up to 40. Which takes between 3 hrs 10 mins best to 3hrs 30 mins dependant on hills etc. I would like to get to 50 miles a ride ( it’s nothing compared to most cyclists I know ) and a tad more if possible. My main area of concern is my average speed although I can now comfortably ride at 17-19 mph on the flat during the first hour thereafter I’m really struggling. I can’t seem to get past an average of 15.5 mph no matter what I do. I have taken food bars, plenty of water to keep hydrated. Am I expecting too much too soon, can I do anything else. Sorry for the long ramble. And sincere apologies if I’ve bored many.
What a great start to a biking journey! Congrats on making an effort and getting healthier!

40 miles is pretty good, especially just starting out. And average speed is just that, an average! It depends on many things; bike, terrain, weather, tire pressure, your tiredness level, all those can play a part and 15.5 is a good average for a normal rider and super for someone who is '70 and overweight' (you have been cycling for just over half a year, not competing in the Tour de France).

If you do 18mps for the first hour and then are tired for the rest of your trip, I would rather keep a comfortable pace throughout and not burn myself out after an hour so I still have energy through the end of the ride. Your speed may increase naturally over time as your muscles get stronger. Way to go, keep up the great progress!

Oldun

Regular
What a great start to a biking journey! Congrats on making an effort and getting healthier!

40 miles is pretty good, especially just starting out. And average speed is just that, an average! It depends on many things; bike, terrain, weather, tire pressure, your tiredness level, all those can play a part and 15.5 is a good average for a normal rider and super for someone who is '70 and overweight' (you have been cycling for just over half a year, not competing in the Tour de France).

If you do 18mps for the first hour and then are tired for the rest of your trip, I would rather keep a comfortable pace throughout and not burn myself out after an hour so I still have energy through the end of the ride. Your speed may increase naturally over time as your muscles get stronger. Way to go, keep up the great progress!

Thanks for the reply. I’ll try and keep a more steady slightly slower speed at the start. Looking forward to the spring and summer and getting out more. I didn’t realise until I started riding how bad the roads are for cyclists in the UK.

Top Bottom