Show us your.......newbie progress!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I wish I had the energy to cycle at weekends. I’m getting desperate wanting to do some longer rides, just to see how far I can go. I cycle 18 miles a day Monday to Friday commuting, have an extremely active job and am too knackered by the weekend to do anything. Hopefully I’ll get used to my current regime soon and will be able to go out on weekends.

If you're knocking out 4500 ish miles pa then be happy! :smile:

Reactions: Dbt

Dbt

If you're knocking out 4500 ish miles pa then be happy! :smile:
Yeah, I know I’m cycling a fair bit, and getting much quicker in the short time I’ve been doing it for, but I’d still like to do some longer rides. I guess some people are never happy with what they’re doing :ohmy:

Only got my e-bike with me this weekend so had to use the legs ,a quick walk around half of the Cadwell race track ,3 laps
Screenshot_2018-06-24-07-55-59.png

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yeah, I know I’m cycling a fair bit, and getting much quicker in the short time I’ve been doing it for, but I’d still like to do some longer rides. I guess some people are never happy with what they’re doing :ohmy:

I think the acid test comes with cycling a good distance all year round is when you have to start grinding it out in the cold, dark & wet winter months - have your kit ready! :smile:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I rode the Norwich Cycle Swarm today, 70 miles at an average speed of 17.5mph. Really pleased with that as it's a PB on both distance and speed :laugh::becool: I've now got a couple of metric century sportives planned to keep me limber before my first imperial century in August :huh::sweat:

harrison_888

Regular
I have been in and out of the saddle for about 8 years but this year I felt something different. I have a passion for the bike like never before - I'm out maintaining it, spending money on it and riding it at any opportunity. Unfortunately those opportunities are few and far between; I work in Central London and live in darkest Essex so commuting on the bike is fairly pointless. I've grappled with the idea of cycling part of the way but there appear to be fewer and fewer bike racks at the stations between here and London (these are actually thinly veiled excuses and I should JFDI!)

A few years ago I wasn't riding much further than 10 miles at a glacial 8-10mph but in the past year I've improved dramatically. I'll do evening cycles (16-20miles or weekend rides of 30+mi). About a year ago I was riding at around 13mph but most recently I completed the short circuit with an average a little over 18mph. :biggrin:proud moment. I've entered into a 70mile Sportive event in the New Forest this Saturday and I hope to complete it in around 4.5hrs (avg ~15.5mph. I'll provide an update next week and next stop will hopefully be an imperial century.

Great thread by the way - if nothing else but to remind me every one on this forum isn't Bradley Wiggins. :bicycle:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I rode the Norwich Cycle Swarm today, 70 miles at an average speed of 17.5mph. Really pleased with that as it's a PB on both distance and speed :laugh::becool: I've now got a couple of metric century sportives planned to keep me limber before my first imperial century in August :huh::sweat:

And you're a newbie?
Fair play at that average speed.

Top Bottom