Show us your.......newbie progress!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
Hi guys interesting reading. I’d be interested to know how I’m doing compared to others. Now been riding on the roads for about 7 months. I’m 70 now always been fairly active. But overweight and last year was told I was pre-diabetic. Hence the bike. I’ve lost 2 1/2 stone and put on quite a bit of muscle on my upper legs. I’m now on my second road bike now, I’ve got a Bianchi with countervail technology, which certainly smooths out the poor roads in Berkshire. 7 months ago a 12-15 miles ride was the norm just before Xmas managed usually 30 miles now up to 40. Which takes between 3 hrs 10 mins best to 3hrs 30 mins dependant on hills etc. I would like to get to 50 miles a ride ( it’s nothing compared to most cyclists I know ) and a tad more if possible. My main area of concern is my average speed although I can now comfortably ride at 17-19 mph on the flat during the first hour thereafter I’m really struggling. I can’t seem to get past an average of 15.5 mph no matter what I do. I have taken food bars, plenty of water to keep hydrated. Am I expecting too much too soon, can I do anything else. Sorry for the long ramble. And sincere apologies if I’ve bored many.

I think you are doing very well!! Firstly, you've got a brilliant bike in the Bianchi (but then I am very biased as I also have an Infinito CV); secondly, you seem to be riding further and faster than me - I'm 64, have been riding for three years and don't seem to be able to exceed 40 miles or 14 mph average speed! Keep it up :bicycle:

I think you are doing very well!! Firstly, you've got a brilliant bike in the Bianchi (but then I am very biased as I also have an Infinito CV); secondly, you seem to be riding further and faster than me - I'm 64, have been riding for three years and don't seem to be able to exceed 40 miles or 14 mph average speed! Keep it up :bicycle:
You hit these plateaus then seem to gothrough them

I thought 50 miles was a problem - later I have done 120

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've now been riding again for around 18 months and today I completed my 3rd Sportive. In doing so I increased my maximum distance ridden to 60.1 miles in a time of 3 hours 37 minutes. That's a 16.5mph average which is actually not all that much slower than I would normally achieve on much shorter rides so I'm pretty happy with that! I've now got a month or so to recover before the Diss Cyclathon at the end of June, 62 miles, and then the Norwich cycle swarm the following week, 75 miles. I'm much more confident now about these distances, in fact this time last year I wouldn't have believed it possible for me to be anywhere near where I am now ^_^ Thanks all for the encouragement along the way, and if you're in the position I was 12 months ago - keep pedalling!!! :okay::okay:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I've now been riding again for around 18 months and today I completed my 3rd Sportive. In doing so I increased my maximum distance ridden to 60.1 miles in a time of 3 hours 37 minutes. That's a 16.5mph average which is actually not all that much slower than I would normally achieve on much shorter rides so I'm pretty happy with that! I've now got a month or so to recover before the Diss Cyclathon at the end of June, 62 miles, and then the Norwich cycle swarm the following week, 75 miles. I'm much more confident now about these distances, in fact this time last year I wouldn't have believed it possible for me to be anywhere near where I am now ^_^ Thanks all for the encouragement along the way, and if you're in the position I was 12 months ago - keep pedalling!!! :okay::okay:
Nice progress!

32 miles this morning ,bought my bike 21/05/2018 previous to this had been getting the miles in on a rebock z8 excercise bike in the back bedroom and a few miles on my electric mountain bike

Attachments

• 2018_06_15_11.17.39.png
    2018_06_15_11.17.39.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 2018_06_15_11.24.16.png
    2018_06_15_11.24.16.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 48
It is relatively flat where I live but as I venture further a field I will get up into the slightly hilly Lincolnshire Wolds

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Did a 21 mile ride Wednesday and a 31 this morning before loading the motorhome and heading to Cadwell race track for the weekend to watch the Sidecar revival racing
View attachment 415517

You're doing well, keep at it!

I know your area quite well as my mum was born in Alford (sadly her ashes are in the cemetery there now) and it certainly is flat! If you ever ride by please give her a cheery wave!

You're doing well, keep at it!

I know your area quite well as my mum was born in Alford (sadly her ashes are in the cemetery there now) and it certainly is flat! If you ever ride by please give her a cheery wave!

I am hoping to do a 50 mile next weekend that will include Alford and Sutton on Sea , and will think of this post as I cycle threw there,
Regards
Chris

Dbt

I wish I had the energy to cycle at weekends. I’m getting desperate wanting to do some longer rides, just to see how far I can go. I cycle 18 miles a day Monday to Friday commuting, have an extremely active job and am too knackered by the weekend to do anything. Hopefully I’ll get used to my current regime soon and will be able to go out on weekends.

Top Bottom