Show us your.......newbie progress!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'll have a look at that too tonight after Eastenders!
Oh, you sad person. Never had you down as an Eastenders fan. Don't tell me, you have to watch it because the missus likes it. Lol.

I use the Ritmo thingy on cycling weekly too for a bit of added interest.

ukbabz

Über Member
picked up my first road bike this weekend and took it out for a spin. Apart from being very sore on the hands (thumb and forefinger) it was an enjoyable ride. Am going to pop back into the LBS and see if they can suggest a change / get a proper bike fit.

Pace wise is a bit up on the MTB, but always feels like am in the wrong gear at the moment!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Oh, you sad person. Never had you down as an Eastenders fan. Don't tell me, you have to watch it because the missus likes it. Lol.

I use the Ritmo thingy on cycling weekly too for a bit of added interest.

Since we defected oop-north in '97 we have noticed that our accent has softened a bit so we tune into 'enders to make sure we maintain a modicum of London in there somewhere.

Actually it's a bit of daft fun that makes us laugh whilst we have our tea and drink wine. Waste of two educations though!

Nor do we really think much of our London accent - when we talk to friends and family who still live down there they (not joking) sound common to our ears and lordy they do swear a lot.

So tonight we are having sausage and fried onion buns with a bottle of very nice Rioja followed by Victoria's finest sponge in front of a roaring fire whilst trying to work out whether Phil is likely to live or die - we suspect the former!

Then I am going to play with RWGPS and the other one @Stonechat mentioned.

Have you had your bath yet?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
One of the things I like with RWGPS is the elevation map actually seems to show every incline you did including the smaller ones, whereas Strava smooths it all out and makes the ride look much more gentle than it was.

Strava is an absolute sod for doing that to my rides. Below is the elevation from my Satmap from tonights commmute home, compare that to the flat route Strava thinks I did. http://www.strava.com/activities/204119193 Also note how much elevation Strava nicked from me - 20%!

upload_2014-10-6_19-13-59.jpeg

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
andrew_rc46 said:
Fudge it!!! If the weather holds out I'm going for it this weekend :smile:
50 miler, got to break my comfort range :smile: need to get myself a survival pack (tools,tubes) and some proper shorts.
It's apparent that eating and drinking is a must on that sort of milage.

Maybe, it depends on you, I can do up to 50 with out food providing I have eat well the day before and breakfast, that doesn't mean I don't though, I usually have a flapjack as well about half way (and a cig, well thats why I stop).
I usually have a stop at a shop at 20-25 miles on a 50miler, and have a cob buy some isotonic pop, I drink anything from 1.5 - 3 litres during the ride

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
@Big_Dave sometimes I don't drink, it all depends.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
I drink a litre or so before I go out, that last me about 5-20miles depending on ambient temperatures,
some trips in mid winter I manage without a drink for 20 miles, or I'd be stopping every 300yards for a waz:whistle:

I have done most of my rides without anything too Nigel. Maybe I would ride better if I did start carrying food and liquid more often.

Unless I am actually setting out with the plan of doing more than 50 miles I very rarely take anything.
I always carry something, even if it is only a snack bar (Nakd bar) - whether I eat it is entirely another matter and it is not uncommon for the same bar to last weeks and weeks...:whistle:
Water though is always with me and absolutely essential no matter how short a distance I am doing!

Top Bottom