Show us your.......newbie progress!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User32269

[QUOTE="Big_Dave, post: 3311568, member: 37533"inTBH I don't know how I ever rode on those old 42/52 14-28 gears, I tried it once early this year and thought sod that, old frame modern 3x10 now lol, 30 yrs ago I could ride 90 miles and think nowt of it, mind you I probably weigh nearly double that what I did 30 yrs ago[/QUOTE]
I tried beast of a hill on mine with my father in law and ground to a halt third of the way up...I went home and wept for my lost youth and calf muscles! Triple chainsets got to be the future!

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
I tried beast of a hill on mine with my father in law and ground to a halt third of the way up...I went home and wept for my lost youth and calf muscles! Triple chainsets got to be the future!
They are being phased out by shimano, so it seems.

Finally stopped raining so been out for a brisk 10 miles.

Today's learning point - if you go out in full Man @ ALDI kit of long bibs, short sleeve jersey, fleecy jacket, full fleecy gloves plus clipless shoes with over shoes, you really need to plan ahead if you need a pee! :rolleyes:

http://www.strava.com/activities/204146818
Well will be cycling tomorrow if it stays well as Mrs S has the car - though she could give me a lift it would be a little inconvenient
Will also be christening the Aldi bibtights

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
There isn't a "don't like" button for that statement :sad:
I know, though I believe Campy re-introduced a triple, so maybe shimano will do the same, maybe they just haven't got the FD sorted yet, I also read in thread that this might be the case, if not it means no higher end kit for road touring bikes, and what of Tiagra's next upgrade, is that going to 11sp or re-vamped like the out going 105.

dee.jay

Network Ninja
On the whole world of chainsets... I noticed the Alfine ones are 10 speed with one cog at the front - I guess Alfine is a different technology altogether though - but is that better than 3 x 7 gears like I have ? I guess it must have difference application

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Been playing with RWGPS and looks fine - I like all the gradient stuff.

I now know that the last 0.2 miles of the lane up to the house is 9.3% - it's quite tough on my legs.

One of my favourite routes goes up to 9.8% in 4 places.

Can't find anything that I have as GPS route that goes over 10% though - I did one last year but I'll have to do it again now to record it accurately.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
On the whole world of chainsets... I noticed the Alfine ones are 10 speed with one cog at the front - I guess Alfine is a different technology altogether though - but is that better than 3 x 7 gears like I have ? I guess it must have difference application
It depends on the range and how close the gears are, I suspect to have the same range as your triple, its likely to need bigger gaps between the gears. The Alfine is internal hub gearing, like Sturmey Archer, it could be hooked upto a double or triple front, I suspect all depends on shifters.

its a different concept completely. I have a Rohloff hub geared bike - its my off-road touring bike/expedition bike. 14 speed sequential gears. same range as a standard 27 speed mountain bike, just without the overlap and chain crossing issues and tbh I love it. so much easier than derailleurs and nicer too (OK I am biased, I have one and have done 11,000 miles on it and love it!) The range between the gears is beautiful and equal without any major jumps. one gear goes to the next one really smoothly and in small increments, can't fault it. Don't know what the 10 speed Alfine ones are like though. And you can easily change the range the hub works over by changing either the sprocket or chain rings...

Were it not for the weight of them, I would have all of my bikes as a Rohloff hub - ok the cost is probably a bigger inhibiting factor.... but the technology is there and reliable and it works. It is just not common in the UK because historically we are much more of a derailleur society still. And if it breaks, you are still left with at least 1 gear (and using a 8mm spanner you can usually change that gear to something more useful...) which is better than this time last week when my rear derailleur cable broke and left me with only 34/11 or 50/11 and a hill that needed to be climbed in my granny gear (34/32)!

Top Bottom