Show us your.......newbie progress!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But can a compact have a granny gear, remember my triple 30x27 is a higher gear (well it was till I changed it) :thumbsup:
So the question for today is what actually is a granny gear ?,
I asked this to someone, and he said anything less than 24" is regarded as a granny gear.
On that basis my lowest of 34 X 32 - which is 27.9" is not a granny gear

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
@Stonechat well my 30x27 was 29.2" if I go with a 12-23 cassette and the current 50/38/26 the lowest 26x23=29.7" so even though I have a really small inner ring at 26th coupled with the 23th rear its actually higher than the 30x27 I had, or indeed the likes of a 34x32

Last edited:

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
mine is 30x32 is 24.7", and mtb is 22x34 at 17"
However I'd like to throw a spanner in the works, over the last couple of weeks I did notice something, I set my garmin speed/cadence sensor to automatic wheel size setting, initially I had it set to manual input of 2096mm (from a cateye wheel chart I had) On automatic wheel size the kellogg's bike came out 2068mm and the TDF came out at 2067mm, both identical make/model of tyres both running 120psi, the tdf tyre had more mileage wear on it on top of which I am a heavy old lump. The distance it took to calculate was approx GPS 0.5mile, So what's the difference in real terms of the tyre settings, on the manual setting on a 50 mile route I knew the exact point where my half way point was when I would turn around as I had done it several occasions, on automatic setting I noticed that the usual halfway point was now 24.8 miles so in effect my 50 miles on automatic size setting was 0.4miles longer than on manual size, would tend to take the automatic setting as gospel due to the fact it calculates wheel revolutions (including tyre wear/tyre pressure and rider weight) over distance, with an accuracy difference of 0.8% over manual input setting.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
@Big_Dave I did work out something similar, as in the difference between 700x23c and 25c and got a higher speed for the 25c (greater circumference), i used the 705 on one setting the R20 on the other.
If I set mine to 2067, brains not working here, I think I would be even slower.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
@Nigelnaturist lol I don't need to look slower than I am already:whistle: When you think the circumference difference is 28mm between auto and manual input it screws up the gear inches a bit,
I will try the auto setting on the mtb and see what the difference is on that, as I also have "gps miles" distance with no spd/cad data as well as spd/cad measurements.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
@Big_Dave just been having a quick look, I work out the gear inch on a 26.3 diameter wheel, formula ratio (front/back)*26.3" which is actually 668mm so reversing that is for a 700c =27.5", so working on that I lose an ince on the low end and gain 5 on the high end, but at the end of the day its only relative in my case.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Cold.

No make that COLD - fair chunk of ride was in damp mist and I got fairly soggy too. Full finger gloves were nice and toasty - ear tips were a bit icy though.

Fallen leaves were a bit treacherous.

18.33 miles @ 14.4 mph av' with 1629' ascent.

Max' gradient 9.6%. says RWGPS.

Didn't feel like getting out tbh as it's so snug in the house - as ever, once you get going it's great!

Stay safe all and watch those blooming leaves!

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
did you get the fallen leaves mixed with water and then repeatedly driven over to make that wonderful slippery edge to every corner and side of the road? Yuck.... and it didn't stop raining for the entire commute either... horrible...

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
did you get the fallen leaves mixed with water and then repeatedly driven over to make that wonderful slippery edge to every corner and side of the road? Yuck.... and it didn't stop raining for the entire commute either... horrible...

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

That's the exact ones! Probably the same ones you rode over when you lived up here - just they've probably been recycled by the trees a few times now.

I was pretty circumspect with the damn things although my lovely chubby (35mm) Marathon Deluxes seemed to take them nicely in their stride - I know what they (tyres) are doing though; just lulling me into a false sense of security waiting for some critical moment to arise when they'll gleefully let go.

Last edited:

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
@SatNavSaysStraightOn

That's the exact ones! Probably the same ones you rode over when you lived up here - just they've probably been recycled by the trees a few times now.

I was pretty circumspect with the damn things although my lovely chubby (35mm) Marathon Deluxes seemed to take them nicely in their stride - I know what they (tyres) are doing though; just lulling me into a false sense of security waiting for some critical moment to arise when they'll gleefully let go.
I was doing them on 700x23c tyres down here this morning...
I also found that they were excellent at lining a wire fence and creating a swimming pool effect along the road. We used to have to stop, wade back and de-line the fence so that the flooding didn't get too deep! Mind you there were times when the lake was just that far up and over the road that we would be totally cut off anyhow... times like that it was better to admit defeat and simply stay at home :whistle:

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
woke up today with a terrible headache that lasts untill now (it's cause of air pressure change) but since it is my day off today i decided that no headache will stop me from cycling and went for little shorter run than i planned to do yesterday evening but im still happy with results. What i find, with every ride i get less and less tired, month ago after doing 12 miles i had used about 1L water or even more, now only 250ml (scale on bottle) and i feel like i could double it if not this damned headache :/
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5505977

Top Bottom