Show us your Spa Wayfarer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I love that you are building it the way you want it; especially your answer to disc or rim brakes - both!

It's unlikely you will meet someone on an identical bike @mickle

galaxy

Veteran
I have the short top tube version.
I built mine from the bare frame up. Even the current head badge and decals were fitted by me so the bike @mickle possibly ends up with will no doubt differ, so I can't comment on its parts.
The frame however, I can. There are pro's and con's.

Pro's: It's very, very, very, very comfy indeed. Like riding along on a cushion of air...almost.
There's oodles of tyre clearance. 47c with mudguards iirc.
Plenty of braze ons for things. Except a spoke holder. No big loss.

Cons: It's very, very, very, very comfy indeed. As a result, it's slower than hell and can be very floppy when fully loaded. Mine didn't take well to front panniers at all. Lots of shimmy. In car terms, you put your foot down and feck all happens. It absolutely will not shoot off from the lights like a rocket sled.
The seat tube bottle cage mounts have been brazed/welded quite high up which can cause issues if it's a small frame. I had to fit a bottle cage height adjuster thingybob from topeak to get my small bottle to fit under the top tube.
A small issue in the way in which the front wheel is held in the fork dropouts. The dropouts are almost forward facing and so the bike needs to be upright with wheel on the ground in order to centre it properly.

The Tange Terious SRN headset fitted is absolute crap. It uses needle/roller bearings in the top race and getting it adjusted to have no play but not too tight is mission impossible. Plus they allow every little bit of water you can find into it. Plus a fair chunk of mud and grit. Ask Spa to change it for something better.

This is mine shortly before my round the world ride across the North of England.

View attachment 553184
Beauty, tempted myself

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
First ride out. It still needs mudguards, racks, bar tape, kick stand, dynamo lights wired in and steerer chopped down when I've settled on bar height. It has three brakes and five brake levers (left hand down-tube shifter pulls the rear disc as a drag / parking brake). Parts from each of the last four decades. And no Shimano. It rides very nicely. Loving the Panaracer Gravel King Slicks (37c)
DSC_0102.JPG

Top Bottom