Show us your touring tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

F70100

Who, me ?
Got a Banshee 200 first, then couldn't resist a 300 when I found one at £95:

20150716-IMG_1555.jpg
20151010-IMG_1605.jpg

Last edited:

clid61

Veteran
north ridge col.jpg
North Ridge Col 1 man , light and easy to throw up

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Love those Vango Banshee's. If I was in the market for another touring tent, then I'd get one of these.
They're fine if you're not too tall or have a thick sleeping mat as you can end up with your feet touching the tent, but as they can be had pretty cheap they're great little basic touring tents for the odd night away. For longer vacation use the 300 would be worth the extra space and comfort.

Bodhbh

Guru
Lightwave Trek T01 I believe. It's no longer made, but the new version is here. It's done okay, think I got it around 2008 for backpacking - didn't really know what I wanted, so did the typical British thing of walk into the shop and go for the second cheapest option (it was Tiso..). It's started to fall to pieces in the last couple of years, but I gave it a good overhaul before the weather turned and I reckon can get another few years out of it.

SAM_0116_zps5ekae9zt.jpg

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I have two tents for touring. First is a Robert Saunders Spacepacker Mk2. It's about 2.2kg, very easy to put up and loads of space. it's a one pole design. You can enter from either side, which means loads of space to store stuff aswell. Also means you can change the exit point if the wind direction changes. Downside is being tall, I have to sleep diagonally in it and sometimes the inner touches my face. I have had it blow flat once, but that was probably due to me not pegging out very well.
1 - Contin 1.JPG

My other is a Vango Havoc 200, which I bought this time last year. it's heavier at 2.9 kg, only has one entry point, but it feels rock steady and there is loads of room around my face, and I don't have to sleep diagonally in it. It takes a little longer to put up, being a three pole design, although a benefit is you can move it around when erected if you want to change spot.
For some reason I can't upload a photo at the moment, but will try again later.

If I was going somewhere hot and moving on each day, I'd probably take the Saunders, but if bad weather a possibility, the Havoc would be my choice. I think it's a great piece of kit.

Tin Pot

Guru
Does anyone cycle with a bivi instead of a tent?

I slept in one in the outback years ago, but I've not seen them in use here. As a cyclist the minimalist approach would seem best, you probably wouldn't even need saddle bags.

Fab Foodie

Lightwave Trek T01 I believe. It's no longer made, but the new version is here. It's done okay, think I got it around 2008 for backpacking - didn't really know what I wanted, so did the typical British thing of walk into the shop and go for the second cheapest option (it was Tiso..). It's started to fall to pieces in the last couple of years, but I gave it a good overhaul before the weather turned and I reckon can get another few years out of it.

SAM_0116_zps5ekae9zt.jpg
Touring on a Twenty .... how cool :-)

Fab Foodie

Does anyone cycle with a bivi instead of a tent?

I slept in one in the outback years ago, but I've not seen them in use here. As a cyclist the minimalist approach would seem best, you probably wouldn't even need saddle bags.
Audaxers often do. I bought one last year and haven't tried it yet.

Bodhbh

Guru
Touring on a Twenty .... how cool :-)

tbh it handles a load superbly, better than anything else in my stable. I'm guessing that's the low centre of gravity with the liddul wheels. Zero flex as well. The only things that lets it down are the brakes and the lack of bottle mounts. If I ever get a bonus, might strip it and let a framebuilder sort out some brake/bottle mounts..

Top Bottom