Show us your touring tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Is that second pic at Morar on The Road to the isles?

It's a little way north of Morar, yes. You can read about the whole trip here.

Vango Halo 200
Nice, roomy tent for two and opens both sides for when it's hot.
SAM_2587.JPG

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Vango Banshee 200, takes me, the Brompton and all the bags ....

View attachment 111206
Does the Banshee have a door on each side? My cheap Highlander Glen Orchy is a similar design... I'm a bit tall for it (6'3") but it's not so bad with a thin mat. Only other gripe is no real porch... but the two doors makes all the difference at a warm and sunny 6am. ...oh, and its pole sections are quite short so it packs up nicely into a pannier.

159469896_new-glen-orchy-back-packing-wild-camping-2-man-tent-h.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Oh well, clocks go forward at the weekend then it's open season !
Easy said, I once went camping up in Derbyshire between my birthday (this weekend) and Easter. It was lovely weather, walking in shorts and a Tshirt bit nippy at night but I had a good sleeping bag/tent plus (after a tip from a mate) a way of heating the tent (Hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and stuffed in the bottom of the sleeping bag)
Anyway, on about the 5th night I got back from the pub, slept, woke up nice and toasty but it seemed to be still very early so I made a cuppa (in the small porch of my little Litchfield Viper tent) rolled a fag up and switched on my little Transistor only to hear the 10 'O'clock news.
There was a foot of snow over the Tent. :eek:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The blue one on this picture is, a Coleman Cobra 2. The other is my friend's Coleman Avior X2
20150928_182212.jpg

I need to get a replacement pole section for my tent now now though after it lost a fight with an over-excited camp site dog in the Highlands last autumn. It finished the tour with a bit of bandaging
20151009_184222.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Does the Banshee have a door on each side? My cheap Highlander Glen Orchy is a similar design... I'm a bit tall for it (6'3") but it's not so bad with a thin mat. Only other gripe is no real porch... but the two doors makes all the difference at a warm and sunny 6am. ...oh, and its pole sections are quite short so it packs up nicely into a pannier.

159469896_new-glen-orchy-back-packing-wild-camping-2-man-tent-h.jpg
Yep, door each side, makes getting the Brompton in pretty easy!

Bodhbh

Guru
Easy said, I once went camping up in Derbyshire between my birthday (this weekend) and Easter. It was lovely weather, walking in shorts and a Tshirt bit nippy at night but I had a good sleeping bag/tent plus (after a tip from a mate) a way of heating the tent (Hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and stuffed in the bottom of the sleeping bag)
Anyway, on about the 5th night I got back from the pub, slept, woke up nice and toasty but it seemed to be still very early so I made a cuppa (in the small porch of my little Litchfield Viper tent) rolled a fag up and switched on my little Transistor only to hear the 10 'O'clock news.
There was a foot of snow over the Tent. :eek:

This didn't happen to be 2008 did it? A similar thing happened that Easter when we were walking the Three Peaks in Yorkshire over a couple of days. Day 1 was sunny enough, but here's the start of Day 2 (note my tent sloughing off the snow a good deal better than the fancy Hillberg!):

Copy%20of%20DSCN0421_zpsm6iwbwjk.jpg

But I take your point. I'm not trying to be hardcore, most of my trips lately are weekend jobs decided the Thurday night on promise of good weather. Which *mostly* works out.

I use one of these for back packing / cycle touring.

View attachment 108044

It's a Vango Zephry Plus, and I've had it over 25 years now. I've often thought about upgrading it with a new one, but just can't justify it as it is still totally bombproof and ticks all the boxes. Weighs about 4 lbs in old money, including pegs and poles. Use it all year round, including heavy snow and winds at 3,000ft in the Cairngorms in December.

Cripes. Am impressed. Is it a top end "technical tent" or were old vangos better made? It surely must have broken at least one pole?

I'd be interested to know what tent and bag others use on their camping tour.

I use a one man tent, Terra Nova competition
I purchased around 10years ago now. there is an upgrade to this one...
It was supposed to be ultra lightweight but added proper pegs and that put the weight up.
I have used it on the fells, so far so good but not sure about it being bombproof...
Needs few times to put up to know how to make it tort.
Still, compact, lightweight and easy to put up.
I use a down sleeping bag though I wish I paid a little more for extra fill.
View attachment 108066

Do you have room for all of your stuff in a one man tent? I rather had the ideavthst one man tents mean just that, not much more than one person and a thin set of clothes.

Top Bottom