1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show us your touring tent

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by itchybeard, 25 Oct 2015.

Tags:
  1. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Veteran

I have bivied once, enjoyed it, intend to do it again very very soon. Though i'm not sure you save much weight (more a question of convenience and being unobtrusive), or at least not with my british army goretex bivi. The british army doesn't do lightweight.

Tin Pot likes this.
  2. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Veteran

Last edited: 20 Mar 2016
  3. Dave Davenport

Dave Davenport Veteran

We bought ours about four years ago but it looks like you can still get them. We had a Vango Spectre before, the materiel seems about the same. Yes it's free standing, inner and outer goes up as one in about five minutes.

Blue Hills likes this.
  4. L Q

L Q Well-Known Member

My cheapie tent that I used to tour the outer Hebrides, that pic was from the final night at Oban.

Will replace the tent for this years trip.

Attached Files:

5. itchybeard

itchybeard Active Member

In a way, yes.
    Kinda depends on what your load is...
    I used it last, in September from Basel. Sleeping bag, spare clothes, stove, food, water, 2 x bags, and me and I'm 6ft or even just taller.
    Its works for me, I've not used a two man tent on touring so I would not know any different other than making use to what I have, though I have thought the extra room be nice but is it necessary...
    I don't mind, it makes me aware of what to carry but frankly I carry just the same as any other person touring.
    There is a porch to keep bags, stove, water there and inside the tent, room for my clothes and spares, torch, pillow etc. So it kinda works.

Blue Hills likes this.
  6. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Veteran

Thanks for the reply dave - interesting - this guy seems to reckon he needs the guylines but perhaps he is being overcautious. Am looking for a freestanding tent for occasional freestanding use in certain circumstances/locations.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?35433-Vango-Halo-200-Tent

7. Dave Davenport

Dave Davenport Veteran

We only bother putting the guy ropes out if it's windy or very wet. It's obviously not designed as a free standing tent and if it's not pegged at all the corners do lift up a bit under tension (more so when it was new), as long as you could weight down or tie off a couple of points I don't think it would be a problem, as long as there wasn't any wind. We never removed the inner after putting it up for the first time, it halves the time to put it up and it packs & dries fine.

8. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

Some of you lot are a bit posh or take the kitchen sink with you.

I have a £20 one man tent or ex-army bivvy depending on my mood Weight and space are at a premium with my setup.

41Tx6jLbV-L._SL1000_.jpg

palinurus and raleighnut like this.
  9. Bodhbh

Bodhbh Veteran

Suppose they vary, but I generally leave the panniers with whatever junk I don't need immediately on the bike. The porch has enough room for shoes and food. Inside there enough room to sit up cross legged or lie down, but not much else. Clothes are used as a pillow, and otherwise there wouldn't be much room for them. On the plus side a 1man tent can fit in places a bigger one might have trouble with (i.e. between crops and a hedge) and can be pretty toast. On the downside they are not much fun to be confined to if it's dark or the weather bad. Then I go to the pub!

raleighnut likes this.
  10. JohnClimber

JohnClimber Veteran

I use both.
    Tent in Winter or rain is forecast or when midges are about
    14288229237_0d8aaa57ae_z.jpg

Bivi bag is my most used but always under a tarp as it's not 100% waterproof nor does it cover my face from the rain.
    20232728765_9aa1d1d293_z.jpg

18873868879_ec15a5b095_z.jpg

palinurus, djb1971, jay clock and 2 others like this.
  11. Chappy

Chappy Über Member

Here's mine. A really great lightweight easy to put up tent.

Attached Files:

12. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Veteran

I gather that a fair few Wild Country tents are near enough copies of the same outfit's Terra Nova tents but heavier due to different/cheaper materials. But for folks like me who don't see the ultimate weight saving as uber important could this possibly mean that the Wild Country tents are actually tougher/more durable/better? I don't know, it's an open question and I bow to the greater knowledge of some folks on here, but sometimes I wonder if more expensive lighter tents are really only necessary for poor sods who are going to have to carry them on their back rather than have them roll along on a bike.

13. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Veteran

Someone recently told me, when I asked, that the main, possibly only difference between a three season tent and a four season tent is that the four season is specced to handle snow landing on it. Is this true?

14. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Veteran

Bivvied in it again a few weeks ago in the corner of a field somewhere in Oxfordshire. The field was waterlogged (though not my slightly raised bit under some leafless trees), many country roads were awash with great puddles and it had chucked it down for an hour before. But with a decent sleeping bag, a Decathlon silk liner, some Aldi thermals and a cheap hat I was perfectly snug. I was lucky that it didn't rain though. I had a poncho with me that in theory could be turned into a shelter but hadn't learned how to turn it into one at the time.

Fab Foodie and raleighnut like this.
  15. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Veteran

What's the tarp you are using there? And the poles? I have a poncho which can be used as a tarp (not used it in the wilds yet, just practised tying it above my bed!!!) but am also considering getting a tarp. I like the idea when free camping of being able to see any neer do wells - in some locations have a feeling I might feel a bit nervy in a tent - dum dum dum throbbing music, next thing a knife tears through the tent fabric :smile: