Show us your touring tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Used for the first time a few weekends back. Camped overnight at Kielder Campsite before the Dirty Reiver. Glad I took the old 4 season Buffalo inner and outer, it dropped to -1C overnight

34083876841_9c37153994.jpg

33404008533_40f5cbe08f.jpg

Simon Guppy

I use one of these for back packing / cycle touring.

View attachment 108044

It's a Vango Zephry Plus, and I've had it over 25 years now. I've often thought about upgrading it with a new one, but just can't justify it as it is still totally bombproof and ticks all the boxes. Weighs about 4 lbs in old money, including pegs and poles. Use it all year round, including heavy snow and winds at 3,000ft in the Cairngorms in December.
Hi there. Stumbled across your photo when I googled zephyr tent. I have the same tent. I haven't used in 15 years, took it out to use it the other day and wondered if I'm missing some poles. I figured there's an inverted v that holds up the front of the tent but should there be a small inverted v at the rear? Ive just got two small poles that fit together and stand vertical. It works but have to peg put the inner tent rear corner rings. Any advise would be great. P.s. was born and bred in York and bought my first sleeping bag at the CTC rally on the knavesmire about 30 years ago! Cheers

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi there. Stumbled across your photo when I googled zephyr tent. I have the same tent. I haven't used in 15 years, took it out to use it the other day and wondered if I'm missing some poles. I figured there's an inverted v that holds up the front of the tent but should there be a small inverted v at the rear? Ive just got two small poles that fit together and stand vertical. It works but have to peg put the inner tent rear corner rings. Any advise would be great. P.s. was born and bred in York and bought my first sleeping bag at the CTC rally on the knavesmire about 30 years ago! Cheers
Yep the Litchfeld 'Viper 2'only has 2 poles, a tall one for the front and a little one at the back. I always pegged mine out starting with the centre loop by the back pole on the flysheet then stand the rear pole up and peg the 2 corners followed by the rear guy line then move to the front and peg the guy line there with the front pole set upright and then the 2 front corners, this generally sets the porch width right but you may need to adjust the corners a bit if you've set them too wide but I find just getting the 2 poles up with the back set only really allows the fly to go in one place. Then you can get in the tent, unroll the inner and clip the back up to its hook followed by the front.
Mine came with rubber 'Bungee' loops for the inner that stretch to allow them to be on the same peg as the flysheet but they may have left them off later versions and just left the brass 'eyelets' but you can buy the thin fabric covered cord and tie some loops to them, but in a 'dive out of the rain' pitch I'll worry about those later.
Finally then it comes to the side loops, I wouldn't peg them flared out as in that photo (random one nicked off t'internet) because it distorts the tent and reduces what little height there is so I just peg em in line but I do make sure that the front and rear guy lines are well tensioned and sometimes if I've 'thrown it up' in a hurry (to avoid rain) I may need to adjust peg position a bit (when the rain has stopped or I need a pee)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I went for a tarp/bivvy set up rather than a tent. It's probably not that much lighter or smaller than a really good tent (though it was much cheaper), but I really like the feeling of sleeping out under the stars.

View attachment 367500 View attachment 367501
Which Tarp is that?

Top Bottom