Show us your watch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru

At least 60 years ago, my mother showed me this pocket watch. It either belonged to my grandfather or great grandfather. It didn’t work, the inside glass was missing and the hinge for the outer case broken. Yet I loved feeling the buttery warm 18k gold.

At last, I took it to Martins Jewellers for them to give a quote. The quote for the movement was very reasonable and I said to go ahead. To repair the case and fit a new glass meant sending it to a goldsmith in London - £600 to £1000. I quickly declined.

I collected the watch on Christmas Eve and it’s amazing to see it working after all these years. It is very delicate with the adjustment of the hands only possible in an anti-clockwise direction. It won’t be used but brought out to admire and wind every few months.

Then I made an unintended purchase. I was browsing Pinterest and saw an advert for Enoksen watches “designed in Germany, built in Belfast“ caught my intention and the Fly E03/D looked very nice. I read the specs which said the date display was at 6 o’clock; but nothing visible in the picture. Out of boredom I wrote to query this. Within 15 minutes I had a reply saying it was a mistake and to thank me for bringing the error to their attention they would give me 2 additional straps.

I deleted the email but 5 days later thought “why not”, and bought one with 10% off as well. It arrived 2 days later; two leather straps, a rubber one and this Nato one.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
View attachment 565820
At least 60 years ago, my mother showed me this pocket watch. It either belonged to my grandfather or great grandfather. It didn’t work, the inside glass was missing and the hinge for the outer case broken. Yet I loved feeling the buttery warm 18k gold.

At last, I took it to Martins Jewellers for them to give a quote. The quote for the movement was very reasonable and I said to go ahead. To repair the case and fit a new glass meant sending it to a goldsmith in London - £600 to £1000. I quickly declined.

I collected the watch on Christmas Eve and it’s amazing to see it working after all these years. It is very delicate with the adjustment of the hands only possible in an anti-clockwise direction. It won’t be used but brought out to admire and wind every few months.

Then I made an unintended purchase. I was browsing Pinterest and saw an advert for Enoksen watches “designed in Germany, built in Belfast“ caught my intention and the Fly E03/D looked very nice. I read the specs which said the date display was at 6 o’clock; but nothing visible in the picture. Out of boredom I wrote to query this. Within 15 minutes I had a reply saying it was a mistake and to thank me for bringing the error to their attention they would give me 2 additional straps.

I deleted the email but 5 days later thought “why not”, and bought one with 10% off as well. It arrived 2 days later; two leather straps, a rubber one and this Nato one.

View attachment 565824
I have your pocket watch‘s twin ...

Beespoke

23yrs of tying hubs & rims together
Always a good excuse for being late for meetings back in the day. 🤣

IMG_2029.JPG

stephec

Legendary Member
I wish I hadn't seen this thread, my wallet's getting worried now.

I've always liked nice watches but for the past 25 years work has meant that that I'm in food or pharma factories every day, so no jewellery allowed.

Then a few years ago we were walking past a jewellery shop and stopped to look in the window, 'oh look, half price,' I say. Then Mrs Stephec says, 'and one that's half price for me as well.'

Twenty minutes later I walk out with this. Unfortunately it doesn't get worn that often as I run regularly with a Garmin Fenix 3, so that tends to get worn when I'm not working.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I’m 50 next month and the wife’s has mentioned buying me a watch or a new all singing dancing bike. ( whatever that is lol ) I’m thinking a watch would be nice. She mentioned a Rolex I about fainted !!! However I’m also informed that sometimes these can prove to be an investment. Or are we taking about the really silly priced ones ?

Gunk

Guru
I’m 50 next month and the wife’s has mentioned buying me a watch or a new all singing dancing bike. ( whatever that is lol ) I’m thinking a watch would be nice. She mentioned a Rolex I about fainted !!! However I’m also informed that sometimes these can prove to be an investment. Or are we taking about the really silly priced ones ?

The prices for used Rolex are high at the moment but you’ll never lose money on them. I own a couple but only ever bought them as I liked them, rather than as an investment. The increase in value has just been a rather nice bonus.

Top Bottom