Showers while wild camping?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveParry

Guru
Currently the shower at home is broken so Looked for local public showers. This is on the Wirral near Liverpool. I can't find any! In Germany all major rail stations have public showers... Is there a map of such facilities in the UK?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I have a shower bag. Either leave the water in the bag to warm in the sun or boil water a pour in.

Good question, for showers are the main/sometimes only reason for going to a campsite.
And good to see some camping/wild camping stuff on here.
I remember that when I inter-railed as a youth, many nights not actually under a roof, a fair few main italian stations had showers - don't know if they still do. Never seen such a thing in my entire life in this country.
I fear though that in a country where even truck drivers, the backbone of the nation's distribution, can't find showers, the answer to your question isn't going to be very positive.
I'll just live in hope of at least sneaky suggestions for getting showered when freewheeling on the road in the UK.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Currently the shower at home is broken so Looked for local public showers. This is on the Wirral near Liverpool. I can't find any! In Germany all major rail stations have public showers... Is there a map of such facilities in the UK?

Public swimming baths and council sports centres, are your best bet for 'public' showers in UK.

When proper wild camping I take a 1litre plastic pot,

Heat a bit of water and you can have a surprisingly decent clean down, with a microfibre cloth..

If you still have the shower cubicle at home, just fill a bucket with hot water and use a bowl to scoop water over you, soap up and then rinse of with a few more scoopfuls.

'showered' like that at home, for many years when other facilities were not available.

Public swimming baths and council sports centres, are your best bet for 'public' showers in UK.
I have heard those suggested - what do you do with all your bike luggage when in the centre/swimming pool going through the motions of a swim? From what I remember of swimming pools (not a keen swimmer) the lockers aren't that big.

DRM

Guru
I have heard those suggested - what do you do with all your bike luggage when in the centre/swimming pool going through the motions of a swim? From what I remember of swimming pools (not a keen swimmer) the lockers aren't that big.
Our sports centre have bike boxes outside, you give a deposit for the key, lock your bike to the rail inside, it’s bolted to the floor, and lock the box door, then go in for a shower.
if wild camping, with a towel you can use one corner with soap, one with clean water and the rest to dry yourself with for ablutions in the field.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

I'll take the super valuable stuff indoors with me in a bag and leave the rest of the stuff attached to the bike.. lock up the bike.

I tend not to tour in very high population, or high crime rate areas , so I don't worry too much.
If it looks dodgy I won't stop.

Not had anything nicked yet.

Draping bits of clothing that look like they could do with a wash over everything helps ..

Although you'll often want to take those into the shower and stomp up and down on them to do your laundry while showering..
Saves on soap.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Yacht clubs usually have showers and laundry facilities for visiting sailors. It's worth asking nicely.

Top Bottom