SMIDSY by a copper tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I thought so, but I was too busy chatting to the Dutch girl with the cool panniers. :P
Euphemisms reign ! :biggrin: :whistle:

Ahem ... now where were we ... :blush:

Ah yes ! Hope you are OK, Ian and haven't had a cris de confiance' :thumbsup:

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Either are not allowed. Mobile big no no, the new airwaves radios are a no no under a technicality (as they are now digital they fall under mobile phone legislation).

Personally ref the radio, if using it as a radio I see little difference between ...
Allowed: Pushing a button on the dashboard to speak
Not allowed: Pushing a button on your radio clipped to your vest
... and I've always suspected a test case would either say that neither are allowed, or both are allowed. No test case yet though, and you'll see police officers using their radios they have for years across the country.

If using it as a phone, or using a mobile phone itself, then it's illegal as it would be for anyone else.

The way he was holding it to his ear would suggest a mobile phone.

Thankyou for your answer.

girovago

1: Traffic was backed up due to lights, backed up a good way from the junction.
2: I was filtering along the inside
3: Traffic started moving due to lights going green
4: We are still away from the junction
5: Traffic is just crawling forward
6: I travel a little faster then the the traffic ready to signal and cut in
7: We are still away from the junction
8: Van suddenly turned right to do a U-Turn before the junction
9: Van did not indicate
10: I did not see the van indicate as I passed it
11. Independent witness confirmed van did not indicate
12: Copper admitted he did not see me

Is that enough clarification for you?

Not really. The more I ask, the more confusing and contradictory your account becomes.

"I saw a van on my left turning right" / "We wasn't at the junction, he was doing a u-turn"
"..filtering on the right of two lanes" / "I was filtering along the inside"

I'll think I'll just leave it.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I don't understand the problem. Ianrauk was cycling down the middle of the road alongside two stationary or slow lanes of traffic. Whilst alongside a police van, the driver of the van decided he had had enough of waiting in the traffic queue and performed a u-turn taking Ian out on his way.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not really. The more I ask, the more confusing and contradictory your account becomes.

"I saw a van on my left turning right" / "We wasn't at the junction, he was doing a u-turn"
"..filtering on the right of two lanes" / "I was filtering along the inside"

Fine sonshine. You think what you like.
Martin has got it exactly right, above.
So yes I think you had better leave it.

Obviously the ref has picked out the Chelsea inside right for being a serial diver. Ian was determined but couldn't quite make it into the box with his latest effort. The assistant referees, although giving a lucid and clear account of events, were not able to assist the man in black with his myopia. Bloody Chelsea troublemakers - just wait 'til they play Italy FC next time...
From page one it is easy to imagine the scenario and it must have been a big shock. Why all the cross-examination? And, Long Martin puts it as succinctly as needed - five pages on...grow up girovague

Ooops - sorry too late it has already been said! :rolleyes: Never mind....

girovago

Why all the cross-examination? And, Long Martin puts it as succinctly as needed - five pages on...

All the cross-examination?

I had posted three messages (out of 116 in the thread), only one of those asking for clarification of the event. You'd have to be very thin-skinned to regard that as anything close to a cross-examination.

grow up girovague

The double-helping of irony in that has at least brought a smile to my face on this lovely Friday afternoon.

Thanks for that.

Yup, I was hit by a Copper van tonight.

I got a cut knee, scraped elbow, bruised cheek and sore ribs. Medic asked if I wanted to go to hospital but I said I was ok to continue and had my bike to get home. He took all my details and said that if I start to feel worse, dizzy or am sick go to A&E. He stayed with me observing until the cops had finished, checked me again then signed me off and went on his way.
I was then asked to give a breath test...first time for me. Negative of course, And I got to keep the tube...cop was given a breath test too.

The cop was genuinely sorry that he had hit me. But of course I said that it didn't excuse him not seeing me.

Checked the bike all over, not a scratch or a mark. Zero damage which is brilliant seeing as it's brand new and only in it's 3rd week of it commuting life. I cycled the 6 miles home. Feeling a bit battered and bruised but nowhere as near as my 'over the bonnet' crash a couple years back.

Checked the bike again once home in the light and not a scratch. Phew! Now just have the wifey fussing over me.

Only just seen this - am shocked. So sorry Ian, I hope you are ok and healing very fast.

M

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I must admit I don't get the need for the adversarial cross-examination, girovague. Surely you could be a little nicer to a fellow in our little part of the internet?

her_welshness

I must admit I don't get the need for the adversarial cross-examination, girovague. Surely you could be a little nicer to a fellow in our little part of the internet?

Agreed. Usual interwebs bollocks of someone trying to manipulate that person's account to make it appear contradictory and confusing.

girovago

I must admit I don't get the need for the adversarial cross-examination
As I said in post #117, one post asking for clarification is hardly a cross-examination.

Surely you could be a little nicer to a fellow in our little part of the internet?
In case you missed it, I did say in my first post:
"I am not defending the police driver who certainly ought to have checked his mirror prior to turning..." and "Glad you weren't seriously hurt and the bike's okay."

Top Bottom