SMIDSY by a copper tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have tended not to read many motorist did this to me threads or what do you think of this video thread as they tend to turn a bit nasty. People get out there microscopes and analyse the videos or the description of events to death and in the end seem to some how come to the conclusion that the cyclist was to blame for what the motorist did.

This is one of the things I am starting to dislike about cycle chat.

I have thought about getting a helmet camera but would be scared to death to put it on this site for others to view as the opinions would just go too far and become intimidating.

Just my views of course

Leodis

Veteran
It wont be long before you are strip searched each morning on the way to work, you will never look at a rubber glove in the same light again... :eek:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is a reportable RTA as you were injured. It would be worth you ringing the police station and getting an accident report number and then consulting a solicitor as you have a very winnable compensation claim against this police officer.

If a report has not been made I would also be asking why. There will be a seperate polivre report as this is an "Accident on duty" incident.

Steve

simon.r

Person
... and analyse the videos or the description of events to death and in the end seem to some how come to the conclusion that the cyclist was to blame for what the motorist did.

I think there's sometimes a fine line between blame and constructive views on how to avoid a similar thing happening again.

I was knocked off my motorbike about 3 years ago and posted deatils on a forum. I was definitely not to blame (the car driver accepted liability, his insurance paid out), but some of the comments were very useful in that they pointed out, politely and constructively, things that I could have done to lessen the chances of being knocked off.

I tend to read the threads and try and learn from them - there are often (but not always) points made that I can apply in my riding.

marafi

Rolling down the hills with the bike.
Glad to hear you are well. It could of been worst though thankfully not. Thats a suprize for a cop to say 'sorry'. Still i bet it feels good to be alive. Hope you get well soon and a fast recovery to get back on the bike. Your poor wifey she has every reason to fuss! Take care of yourself!

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A quick update on this.
I received a nice letter from Russell, Jones & Walker stating that the Police have admitted 100% liability for the collision. We was ready to go to court if they didn't admit.

On my injury side of things. After seeing my consultant doctor. I have deep muscle compression injury which will take at least 6 months to a year to heal. I am still getting dull pain from it, mainly at night if I have been sleeping on the shoulder. Apparently it's a good thing I am very fit as that is what stopped me getting a much worse injury. The Doc was surprised that with the way I fell on to my shoulder I hadn't ripped the muscle and ligaments from the bone and that I didn't dislocate my shoulder.

Crankarm

Guru
A quick update on this.
I received a nice letter from Russell, Jones & Walker stating that the Police have admitted 100% liability for the collision. We was ready to go to court if they didn't admit.

On my injury side of things. After seeing my consultant doctor. I have deep muscle compression injury which will take at least 6 months to a year to heal. I am still getting dull pain from it, mainly at night if I have been sleeping on the shoulder. Apparently it's a good thing I am very fit as that is what stopped me getting a much worse injury. The Doc was surprised that with the way I fell on to my shoulder I hadn't ripped the muscle and ligaments from the bone and that I didn't dislocate my shoulder.

Good for you. Has the copper been prosecuted for driving without due care and attention? I thought not.

400bhp

Guru
That's a reasonably good result I guess. I didn't give you a "like" as it didn't seem appropriate with your injuries.

What payout are you looking at?

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Hang on, YOU were made to give a breath test? Riding a pedal cycle? Ermmm.... No legal way to require that from you at all!
I was breathalised when I was knocked off my bike last month. Because of my damaged abdominal wall muscles I could barely breathe anyway but it was about the first thing they did after making sure I wasn't about to die. I had no idea it wasn't obligatory. All things considered I didn't feel it was unfair to do this. I thought their timing was a bit off but I didn't mind producing a test.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I only just looked at the date of the original post. I can't believe it has taken this long to get to this point. (That's not to say I don't believe you of course, just to emphasise my surprise at how long these things take. Don't want to create any more bad vibes ala Girovadge and his passive aggressive questions. Glad we got that sorted)

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I only just looked at the date of the original post. I can't believe it has taken this long to get to this point. (That's not to say I don't believe you of course, just to emphasise my surprise at how long these things take. Don't want to create any more bad vibes ala Girovadge and his passive aggressive questions. Glad we got that sorted)

6 months is pretty quick apparently.
These things can drag on for years, just ask Fossyant,

Top Bottom