So cycling indoors in warmth and comfort is the same as cycling outdoors ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
However, it is really not. Many people don’t want to mix with horrible traffic or perving men, or they fancy riding up some mountains and don’t live near any, as well as training and don’t have a suitable place for intervals on the road. Cycling is a broad church and I don’t think anyone should be cut out if it because they do it indoors. As a country we have won sackfuls of medals cycling indoors, something that has been going on for over a hundred years.
In the past few months I wouldn't have rode much if at all if it wasn't for an indoor trainer.

I'm still a cyclist, not a single person on the internet with a sh1tty not real/fake miles/easier miles take on indoor training will be taking that from me.

#youdoyou :whistle:

However, it is really not. Many people don’t want to mix with horrible traffic or perving men, or they fancy riding up some mountains and don’t live near any, as well as training and don’t have a suitable place for intervals on the road. Cycling is a broad church and I don’t think anyone should be cut out if it because they do it indoors. As a country we have won sackfuls of medals cycling indoors, something that has been going on for over a hundred years.
Indoor cycling is no different to running on a treadmill. The primary focus is fitness training. I would not consider it a sport. I suspect most of us have a trainer including me for inclement weather and when I just don't feel like going out. It can really put out the watts without a gust on your face.

Calling the use of a treadmill as broad church of recreational running using the same analogy might paint the picture better.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I'm still a cyclist, not a single person on the internet with a sh1tty not real/fake miles/easier miles take on indoor training will be taking that from me.

You’re absolutely a cyclist.

I personally think the closed views this thread are more representative of Internet culture than cycling culture.

I suspect that if you talk to a cyclist who rides exclusively or mainly outdoors they’d be unlikely to dismiss or criticise you as a cyclist for riding primarily or exclusively on Zwift (or any other platform). It does seem to happen on the internet though.

gzoom

Über Member
Not really. I use Zwift on one screen and Eurosport on the big screen.

We've got a Pelton bike coming in 10 days time, so am not anti-indoor cycling, but this was the 'view' on my morning ride today at 7am. No indoor setup can come close to delivering the smile inducing feeling you get when powering you way across the beautiful British countryside on a pedal bike. I love it.

51152082526_3a622385da_k_d.jpg

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Isn't that pretty much what the Zwift thread in the Training forum is?

It's maybe similar to the difference between indoor and outdoor climbing, thousands of people could be amazing indoor climbers without ever having to insert their own protection and lead on an actual rockface.

'Sport' climbing bridged that gap nicely .

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Turbo training is gym excercise not cycling. Only actual riding on real surfaces is cycling. Claiming turbo time as cycling miles is cheating.

Show me where it's written down.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Show me where it's written down.

You show me how many hours you can get from say, London to Brighton in, whilst riding your turbo trainer. I mean actually physically transporting yourself from one place to the other. You can spin the turbo from now until eternity and you still won't have left your garage. Turbo training is not, and never will be, real cycling.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
You show me how many hours you can get from say, London to Brighton in, whilst riding your turbo trainer. I mean actually physically transporting yourself from one place to the other. You can spin the turbo from now until eternity and you still won't have left your garage. Turbo training is not, and never will be, real cycling.

I don't spin or any other kind of indoor pedalling but you said it was cheating so I asked to see the rules. You do seem to have a lot of them.

We've got a Pelton bike coming in 10 days time, so am not anti-indoor cycling, but this was the 'view' on my morning ride today at 7am. No indoor setup can come close to delivering the smile inducing feeling you get when powering you way across the beautiful British countryside on a pedal bike. I love it.

View attachment 586798
What if you live in a big city ? Or it's dark when you finish work ?

Indoor cycling is great for generating endorphins. If it's that or sitting on the sofa I'm all for indoors. The fitter you are the more you'll enjoy outdoor rides.

Top Bottom