So, whats the bike you always wanted but never had?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Razor

Mine was the almost legendary Raliegh road ace with all the 600 ax aero stuff on it.My mate had one(Rich Kid) back in 84 and always loved it.nearest i got was buying the 600 ax rear derailleur.it was quite dissappionting though as it had built in indexing which never worked very well with friction levers .Looked cool though ,at the time.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had the Road Ace at 16 - in 86...but the later 600 (not AX)...I was working and paid for it myself..... - you'll hate me now.......some of the bits still live on my current Ribble (cranks and brake calipers)

Soltydog

Legendary Member
As a young kid I always longed for a Chopper :ohmy: & then in my teen years used to want a Raleigh Record Sprint (I think it was called that) Black with gold trim :tongue:
But always had to make do with my single speed straight bar bike, until i started working

OP
OP
R

Razor

fossyant said:
I had the Road Ace at 16 - in 86...but the later 600 (not AX)...I was working and paid for it myself..... - you'll hate me now.......some of the bits still live on my current Ribble (cranks and brake calipers)

You would probably hate youself for breaking one up ,i have seen them for sale at over a grand! I think they were around £350 in 84 .I was 15 at the time and it seemed like a fortune back then.

peanut

well when I was a kid it was a Claude Butler with fancy lugs and I finally got a hand built one that someone didn't want when I were a lad. Later I sold it to a lbs for £14.00 to take my G/F out to the coast for the day. That was 40 years ago! Always missed that bike .
Nowadays I suppose it has to be one of those gorgeous Colnago's in steel with the chrome stays and fantastic paint jobs .

Well, there's a moral in this one.

In 1980 I was earning about a hundred quid a week. The Alan Carbonio sold for £800. It was beautiful, and I wanted it, but could never have it. In 2005 I went out on a 160 mile training run, and one of our group was on a borrowed Alan Carbonio. You could see him go grey. He lost all feeling in his little fingers.

Lately I've lusted after a Cervelo P3. I saw one on the road last month, and rode alonside. It's poor. The finish is not nice, and the frame is crude. A lesson learnt.

OP
OP
R

Razor

I think its good somtimes to have wanted somthing and never own it ,even if you can afford it in later life .Often the reality of having it rarly lives up to the dream.

Cinelli Lazer, Cunningham Mantis, Santana Tandem, Burrows/Giant Monocoque, Moulton Pylon, and loads of random stuff. Right now a Scott scale frame with Pace rigid carbon forks covered in Posh Bikes parts. [drool]

Things I used to own but foolishly sold? Burrows Wincheetah #002. [kicks self]

Abitrary

Raleigh Grifter. Simply the coolest looking bike ever. I was planning on being a bit radical in going from a Tomahawk to a Grifter, and not a chopper, but never got round to it.

grifter.jpg

OP
OP
R

Razor

Abitrary said:
Raleigh Grifter. Simply the coolest looking bike ever. I was planning on being a bit radical in going from a Tomahawk to a Grifter, and not a chopper, but never got round to it.

grifter.jpg
Awsome bike, 3 speed sturmey archer gears and nobbly tyres!.Forerunner of bmx /mountain bike and that reminds me ,Do you remember the raleigh Bomber i think it was black and they possibly did a chromed frame version with that blue plastic stuff on it that peeled off.

Top Bottom