Specialized Allez derailleur problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Porcia

My Allez has been skipping gear and making a rattling sound from the cage on the derailleur. I have fitted a new chain and cassette, but the gears still skip. On closer examination, I think that (a) the jockey wheel bearing are a bit worn (They wobble) and (b) the pins that hold the body together may be worn because I can move the cage out by hand, and it improves things. I believe the derailleur is a Shimano RD-2300 and I think I need to replace it but what with.
Would a Shimano Claris work OK ?

iluvmybike

Über Member
Before you do anything else check that the rear deraileur is aligned properly. Jockey wheels are not rigidly fixed but if teeth getting pointy and there is excessive movement then fit new ones. Check also that you have routed the new chain correctly through the cage

Jockey wheels are meant to have a bit of play - I don't think that's the issue. Photos might help.

If you can move it by hand then I think its just the cable tension you need to sort. Put it in a middle of the cassette gear and get on the floor behind the bike. The derailleur should be directly beneath the sprocket you've chosen. If it's too far left or right - then just adjust the barrel tensioner a click at a time until it goes the right way.

OP
OP
Porcia

Porcia

The bike is up on a repair stand, I can expect a bit of float in the jockey wheels so OK, but I've noticed a lot of play in the cage where it mounts to
the derailleur body
y

T4tomo

Guru
Have you (re)indexed the gears (have a look at such a park tools videos) but if limit screws are fine then can you get rid of the noise on the work stand by small turns (1/4 or 1/8 of a rev at a time) of the cable tension adjuster on the derailleur?

there will be some lay in the cage as it is a fight between cable tension and the derailleur internal spring, its hard to telll if this is excessive or causing a problem.

T4tomo

Guru
Is it me or does the mech hanger look bent (yellow lines)?
almost impossible to tell when photo taken from an angle.

BUT an out of align hanger wont cause a constant noise in all gears, Symptom of an out of aligned hanger is that your be able to index it at one end of the range, but it will be out of index by the time you shift to other end of cassette

wonderloaf

Veteran
almost impossible to tell when photo taken from an angle.

BUT an out of align hanger wont cause a constant noise in all gears, Symptom of an out of aligned hanger is that your be able to index it at one end of the range, but it will be out of index by the time you shift to other end of cassette
The photo looks pretty much head on to me, even at a slight angle I would have expected to see the hanger/frame parallel to the sprockets. Still it gives the OP another idea to check out.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Porcia

Porcia

Have you (re)indexed the gears (have a look at such a park tools videos) but if limit screws are fine then can you get rid of the noise on the work stand by small turns (1/4 or 1/8 of a rev at a time) of the cable tension adjuster on the derailleur?

there will be some lay in the cage as it is a fight between cable tension and the derailleur internal spring, its hard to telll if this is excessive or causing a problem.
Indexed a few times now, what's worrying me if on the big front ring and the large ring on the cassette the tip of the bolt that holds the top jockey wheel sometimes hits the spokes.

That's not a gear you should use. The chain is at an angle too much. You'd be better off in the small ring and lower down the block. You'll have the same gear repeated that way.

Top Bottom