Start the 2012 clock.... Derbyshire new year's day raid.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I thought I had better start a proper thread for this ride as it started as some off-topic rambling in somebodies welcome post/thread.

The plan is to ride from Manchester upto the Snake Pass summit then drop down to Ladybower and Bamford with a cafe stop at The Woodbine Cafe in Hope. After that we will ride through Castleton and climb Winnats Pass (feared by some!) before winding our way back to the Manchester area via Chapel-en-le-Frith.

I did concoct a route for this ride weeks ago which starts/finishes at Asda in Ashton-under-Lyne. If we stick strictly to the route as mapped it will be 56 miles but this will involve signiicant amounts of climbing, principally from Glossop to the Snake Pass summit but also the short but sweet Winnats Pass.

As I write there are 2 people on board, namely Skudupnorth and me but if anyone else wants to torture themselves join in the fun then let me know and we can agree a meeting place and start time. For me the Asda carpark in Ashton is ideal as then there is the easy climb from Stalybridge to Mottram cutting to get us warmed up and in the mood for what is about to come. Start time would ideally be rolling by 10am but this could be shifted to suit if it were essential.

Post here or PM if you want to come and merry Christmas everyone :snowball:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Eeeek! Just been on the scales and I won't say how much of a shock I got but I really need this ride to happen. Any more takers?

Not sure what the weather forecast is but unless it is completely stormy and torrential rain this will happen even if I ride on my own so roll-up, roll-up for the first ride of the year.

Fran143

Über Member
Eeeek! Just been on the scales and I won't say how much of a shock I got but I really need this ride to happen. Any more takers?

Not sure what the weather forecast is but unless it is completely stormy and torrential rain this will happen even if I ride on my own so roll-up, roll-up for the first ride of the year.

Does this mean it is now a weight watchers thread instead?:whistle:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Count me in !
"My name is Steve and i've over indulged in Christmas" !!!!!
What sort of time are you expecting to arrive in Glossop ? I was thinking ( amazing i know) of meeting at the Lowery statue.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If anyone wants to meet in Ashton I was going to say 10am from Asda but if it's just you and me then it's up to you. Are you cycling EDIT: driving over here or cycling all the way across M/cr?

Do you mean the Lowry statue (Lowry on a bench) at Mottram? I can meet you there at 10am.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Yes i will be cycling over from my side which i think was about 26 miles (i'll double check) and yes the Lowery statue on the bench,i met Fossy and gang there on my first forum ride out but i can meet in the middle of Glossop or at a good landmark in the town.
Are we still the only nutters out on Sunday ?:wacko:

Steve H

Large Member
Sorry guys, I'm away for New Year. Have a good ride

sdr gb

Falling apart
Put me down as a maybe. Don't know what I'm doing yet over New Year although this sounds like fun. I'll know better on Friday.

Just to make you feel bad, I haven't put on a single pound over Christmas.:becool:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yum, chomp, munch, mmmmmm..... still trying my best to finish off the biscuit selection tin so I won't get tempted by it anymore. I hope you can make it SDR GB. I suppose the Lowry bench at Mottram is starting to look like the logical meeting point.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Not sure if Im doing this. I wanted to do a season of forum rides / social rides instead of audax TT though its not working out. Ive just not been on the bike as much since I made the decision and my cycling has suffered due to lack of being on the bike so Im back on audax, TT mode. So don't really want to be climbing the peaks with no AAA points involved.

Also I never go up their in January caos of the weather and just stick with Shropshire or anywhere flat till about late February. Good luck with it. If I don't turn up. I 'll keep it in mind though :smile:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Unlikely to make this as it is my birthday so no doubt little ones will want to celebrate.
Be carefull up there though just been through the Goyt and over the Cat and Fiddle and it was challenging.
Have a good one :thumbsup:

Top Bottom