stealth cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
Went out tonight in the car to give my son a lift. I came to a relatively small roundabout, where I had to turn right. Just before I got there a bike passed through from my left to my right. Guy in a bright orange jacket, lights on, quite upright, possibly a flat-barred hybrid. I started onto the roundabout and about 70 or 80 feet behind him came another bike and never even paused as he cut across in front of me. Dark clothes, dark bike, woolly hat, no lights. He was on the drops, apparently trying to race the first guy. The most visible bit about him was a builders bum.

I just don't get it. Here's me trying to think on more ways to be seen, and him not just apparently not caring, but also putting himself at risk by riding dangerously.

Peteaud

Veteran
Used to see a "ninja Bike" myself, always unlit.

Have not seen him for a while tho, maybe someone else didnt either.....

Saw one the other night crossing the end of the Stocksbridge bypass, heading towards Hoyland Common. Total suicide on a 60mph road. He was nearly as ill-fated as the dingbat ninja going head-on to traffic down there a couple of weeks ago.

400bhp

Guru
Went out tonight in the car to give my son a lift. I came to a relatively small roundabout, where I had to turn right. Just before I got there a bike passed through from my left to my right. Guy in a bright orange jacket, lights on, quite upright, possibly a flat-barred hybrid. I started onto the roundabout and about 70 or 80 feet behind him came another bike and never even paused as he cut across in front of me. Dark clothes, dark bike, woolly hat, no lights. He was on the drops, apparently trying to race the first guy. The most visible bit about him was a builders bum.

I just don't get it. Here's me trying to think on more ways to be seen, and him not just apparently not caring, but also putting himself at risk by riding dangerously.

It's called stupidity - there's lots of it about.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have got dozens of lights scattered in draws and boxes in the house and shed. They are dirt cheap and I have an old habit of buying them. I don`t know why because I only use a Smart rear light and Hope Vision 1 front light.

The police have been having a crackdown with school children going to school on bikes without lights. Their parents get a "Get it sorted" notice and if the child is stopped again the parents get the ticket. It seems to be working very well.

Steve

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The police have been having a crackdown with school children going to school on bikes without lights. Their parents get a "Get it sorted" notice and if the child is stopped again the parents get the ticket. It seems to be working very well.

Steve
During daylight hours? I didn't think it was a legal requirement.
"Abbreviated to RVLR: the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (amended in 1994, 1996, 2001, 2005, again in 2005 and 2009) require pedal cycles to have various lights and reflectors fitted, clean and working properly, when being ridden on a public road between sunset and sunrise. Cyclists may also be required to light up in conditions of seriously reduced visibility during the day, but only if they have functional lights already fitted. Lights are not required when the cycle is stationary or being pushed along the roadside." CTC, lighting

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
South Yorkshire Police are giving free lights out to avoid a £30 fine. HERE. So if you want some free lights ride up and down outside police station at night as a ninja :whistle:.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Sorry I am in Denmark.

Some of our schools start earlier than in the UK and so it is still dark when they arrive.

Steve

Top Bottom