Stick with tubeless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
There is a little bit of a learning curve as with many new things but after that what faff? In five months I have spent literally five minutes checking if my sealent needed topping up - it didn't. If it saved me mending a puncture then it has saved me faff.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yep. The pros use tubulars. Dont understand the need for tubeless. Too much of a faff.
Personally I've never tried it, so I'm in no position to comment. I may give it a go one day - perhaps when my rims next wear out.

But if it's good enough for Steve Abraham ... ;)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Whats is the point of tubeless on race bikes unless you are racing? I dont care about a bit less rolling resistance and that I can ride using lower tyre pressures I do care about messing up my wheels with sealant that splurges all over the place on occasion. Funny thing is the ones I know who are tubeless always carry a tube with them. Just give it up!

Yawn!

bladesman73

Über Member
Why do you get the impression it's the people who haven't tried it that are so opposed to it.
Dont need to try it. Seen so many mates use them and its not worth the hassle for such a small gain. Who wants to be riding with loads of sealant in their tyres which then sometimes doesnt do the job its supposed to do anyway. Seen so many people calling home for a lift who forgot to take a tube with them, got a puncture, and the sealant didnt work as quickly as needed.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Dont need to try it. Seen so many mates use them and its not worth the hassle for such a small gain. Who wants to be riding with loads of sealant in their tyres which then sometimes doesnt do the job its supposed to do anyway. Seen so many people calling home for a lift who forgot to take a tube with them, got a puncture, and the sealant didnt work as quickly as needed.

Just because your mates are not capable of running tubeless does not mean that others should not if they want to.

I changed my tubeless tyres last week for new 5000 tubeless. I had forgotten how much of a faff it was to set up but I can't recall it being a faff to maintain and it certainly wasn't on this long weekend's trip to Flanders and I am glad I continued.

Been riding tubeless for a month now, and this week I've had two punctures front and rear, both would not seal properly. So still experimenting with this, might not have been enough sealant ( holes were not that big ) or not very good sealant ( bought from Decathlon ). Looks also like I best buy some plugs and tyre boot as well. Have to say if I can sort this out, the tubeless tyres do roll very well, even the gravel type I'm running just now are pretty fast rolling on all surfaces.
I used finishline sealant for a while and it was a disaster, touchwood Joes/Stans are working better.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've been using Orange Endurance sealant for the last 4 months/1200 miles, in that time I've had one puncture (rear) that I didn't even know about, only found out about it when doing a really careful inspection of the tyres yesterday using a magnifying glass! I don't recall getting any punctures (no noises, sealant squirting everywhere or loss of pressure) so the Orange sealant must have sealed the the hole immediately. Seems to be doing it's job so I'm sticking with it for the moment!
Prior to that used Decathlon sealant which did seal a couple of holes in the front tyre, but had to keep moving to keep the sealant on the outer surface. Lost a bit of pressure but once the holes were sealed all was good.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was getting occasional punctures in my Schwalbe Moto X tyres, but have had no ride stopping deflations since going tubeless.

A puncture on a heavy ebike is more of a faff, so that weighs the time/trouble equation more in favour of tubeless.

On t'other hand, I had no punctures in Marathon Pluses on the previous bike, so quite happy to stick with tubes in those.

Hadn't used my bike for a month and the front tyre was flat, pumped it up and air was hissing out of the side wall from a tiny hole. Took the wheel off and rotated the puncture to the bottom, bumped the wheel up and down a couple of times to get the sealant moving and instant seal! Well impressed. This was using OKO high fibre magic milk from PX, currently £7.99 for a litre. Its not latex based so it doesn't dry up.

bladesman73

Über Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but the pros have a car following and any problems a guy fits a new wheel for them in seconds. What the pros do has very little bearing on what works best for the rest of us,
From what ive seen many tubeless riders need a support vehicle if they get a puncture, the sealant fails and they dont have a tube on them.

Top Bottom