Stiff ankles and sudden cramps after cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m pretty sure it is :tongue:
How do you know if you're not fixed to the pedal in the correct position for you? Have you had a bike fit/assessment?

As regards cramp make sure you are drinking enough. That is often a common cause of cramp - not exclusively, though.

As regards everything else either try different setups as regards saddle height, saddle angle, handlebar height. Try to have the bike in a gear that allows you to pedal easily rather than really having to push. Try different shoes, too. (Not boots)

Finally, if the problems continue see a professional, either a doctor or a physio. There may be something else at play.

vickster

Legendary Member
So I always seem to get stiffness in my ankles and pain in middle of bottom of foot and stiff toes. It eventually goes within a couple of hours more in the afternoon then the morning. I also seem to get sudden cramps in my right leg top part. Does anyone know why? Most of the time it’s after cycling however occaisonally it has happened after my volunteering at animal park. (Although this has been happening since the 1st of June after I got knocked of by getting reversed in. However I just twisted my ankle that day and that seemed to get better as the unstable went away) but then I also have low muscle tone which means my muscles don’t always fully relax. But the weird thing I never had this happen before my saddle height is right and my pedals and cranks are fine. Does anyone know why this is happening. It tends to be mostly my right as well
Big question...how far are you cycling and at what point does the pain start. If after 50 miles, probably not unusual. After 5 ormless, more

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Maybe you should try it...it's quite possibly nothing to do with your ankle but somewhere in the chain...
As regards cramp make sure you are drinking enough. That is often a common cause of cramp - not exclusively, though.

As regards everything else either try different setups as regards saddle height, saddle angle, handlebar height. Try to have the bike in a gear that allows you to pedal easily rather than really having to push. Try different shoes, too. (Not boots)
Thanks and I don’t wear boots when cycling anyway
Finally, if the problems continue see a professional, either a doctor or a physio. There may be something else at play.

tight hamstrings and glutes are common in cyclists for example. You could try a pilates or yoga class too
Ok lol, but I wouldn’t want to join a class. I work in a sports centre. Lol it would be embarrassing in front of a lot of older people to be polite. 👅
How do you know if you're not fixed to the pedal in the correct position for you? Have you had a bike fit/assessment?
True I haven’t had bike fit as aren’t they expensive?
As has been mentioned above - are your shoes too tight or small?

With regard to the stiff toes, are you unintentionally bending them as if you were trying to grip the footbed of the shoe?
Nope I’m a size 7 and I only got the walking shoes nearly a year ago and feet stop growing when you adult how would i know is I unintentionally bending them?

Big question...how far are you cycling and at what point does the pain start. If after 50 miles, probably not unusual. After 5 ormless, more
Even just after a commute to town which is 4 miles. 🙄

classic33

Leg End Member
Are your toes spending a fair amount of time bent/curled back? You can usually feel if they are.

If you're trying to put power down through the feet, through the pedals, you might be doing it more attempting to "keep your foot on the pedal" to stop it slipping.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Are your toes spending a fair amount of time bent/curled back? You can usually feel if they are.

If you're trying to put power down through the feet, through the pedals, you might be doing it more attempting to "keep your foot on the pedal" to stop it slipping.
I came back from my commute to town around a couple of ours ago and it’s pretyy much just stiff this time not much numbness a tiny bit and I don’t think they were curled back but I don’t pay much attention to looking at my feet. Concentrating on traffic is a lot more important. Lol 😂
I only get stiff/numb in my feet and ankles luckily no where else. The stiff is always in my ankles and the numbness always in my toes (the numbness is pretty much pins and needles) (just to mention it’s not related to my diabeties as I recently had my annual feet checked). I don’t know if this is worth mention my ankle tend to click a lot as well. (Before I used to get sudden painful cramps and when ever my ankle clicked the cramp stopped) weird thing is this went away after the 1st of June and that’s when I started getting stiff and numbness.

Ps I don’t like cycling shoes as I don’t want clipless pedals as i feel being attached to the bike is way more dangerous no offence to those who use them.

vickster

Legendary Member
Start doing some ankle and foot flexibility exercises and use the bosu at your gym for strengthening. Have a chat with one of the trainers at your place of work (assuming they have them), or pay to see a sports physio :okay:

Are you hypermobile?

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Start doing some ankle and foot flexibility exercises and use the bosu at your gym for strengthening. Have a chat with one of the trainers at your place of work (assuming they have them), or pay to see a sports physio :okay:

Are you hypermobile?
Lol, I wouldn’t want to do anything at my sports centre as I work there and they do.

I’m double jointed. Is that what your asking by hyper mobile?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If you have pins and needles in your toes I believe this 100% due to foot position and/or how rigid your shoe sole is. You don't have to use cycling shoes and clipless pedals - BTW it's far from dangerous - just try shoes with a more rigid sole. Alternatively look at getting some rigid in soles.

There's a slight possibility your shoes are too tightly laced as well.

The pins and needles are due to reduced or restricted blood flow created by your foot position reducing the flow.

Top Bottom