Stiff ankles and sudden cramps after cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

So I always seem to get stiffness in my ankles and pain in middle of bottom of foot and stiff toes. It eventually goes within a couple of hours more in the afternoon then the morning. I also seem to get sudden cramps in my right leg top part. Does anyone know why? Most of the time it’s after cycling however occaisonally it has happened after my volunteering at animal park. (Although this has been happening since the 1st of June after I got knocked of by getting reversed in. However I just twisted my ankle that day and that seemed to get better as the unstable went away) but then I also have low muscle tone which means my muscles don’t always fully relax. But the weird thing I never had this happen before my saddle height is right and my pedals and cranks are fine. Does anyone know why this is happening. It tends to be mostly my right as well

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Do you use cycle shoes or cleats of any description?

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you been assessed by a physio? If possible one with an interest in and knowledge of cycling?
How do you know your saddle height is ‘right’ if you’re getting issues since fiddling with it?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I used to suffer from this and other related issues in particular a numbness and pins and needles in my feet while riding.

Eventually I tracked it down to two things. Firstly I was simply over-tightening my shoes which restricted blood flow.

The second was a bit trickier to solve. I wear SPD shoes and discovered my cleat position and so my foot position was wrong. It turned out I needed a slightly different position for each foot.

To solve the issue I set both shoes up and went for a ride taking an Allen key with me. When the discomfort arrived I stopped, adjusted the offending cleat and carried on. Over a period of weeks I ended up with a position whereby I could ride further and further until I stopped experiencing this. The perfect position for me achieved.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Fab Foodie
I don’t use cleats or cycling shoes
@classic33
Yes my right is dominant
@Stompier @vickster
Nope and also isn’t the saddle height right if there’s a slight bend in your leg when your pedals at 6. O clock
@PaulSB
Ok as I said in don’t use clipless pedals or cycling shoes.
Ok, wondering if the foot pain in particular is due to pushing hard on the pedals in flexible soled shoes, whereas with stiff soled cycling footwear (cleats not obligatory) the pressure would be spread more evenly reducing discomfort. It may even help the ankle.

Do you pedal slowly with a lot of force or spin the pedals fairly quickly in a lower gear?

classic33

Leg End Member
Following on from Fan Foodies question. Is the leg that is sore doing most of the work?

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Ok, wondering if the foot pain in particular is due to pushing hard on the pedals in flexible soled shoes, whereas with stiff soled cycling footwear (cleats not obligatory) the pressure would be spread more evenly reducing discomfort. It may even help the ankle.

Do you pedal slowly with a lot of force or spin the pedals fairly quickly in a lower gear?
My bike has 3 gears and 8 gears. I tend to pedal in 2nd and 5/6th gear in the so I don’t think I do. The shoes I currently wear when cycling there not cycling shoes but there walking shoes.
Following on from Fan Foodies question. Is the leg that is sore doing most of the work?
Well I suppose so because it’s the one you also use when you stop lol 😂

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you stretch after riding? All of leg muscles, hip flexors, lower back. See if that helps
And considers seeing a physio to get advice on ankle weakness

classic33

Leg End Member
My bike has 3 gears and 8 gears. I tend to pedal in 2nd and 5/6th gear in the so I don’t think I do. The shoes I currently wear when cycling there not cycling shoes but there walking shoes.

Well I suppose so because it’s the one you also use when you stop lol 😂
Maybe you're putting too much pressure on/through that leg, whilst cycling. Is the foot in the correct position, on the pedal when you restart pedalling?

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Top Bottom