Strange Road Signs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I haven't noticed an especially low speed limit along there but then we're normally tootling slowly along the bridge pavement looking at the views.
The traffic jams on the mainland end are EPIC. It's such fun to swoosh past them on the cyclepath.

It may be different now, but back then it was 15mph all the way across. I took the mainland roundabout as fast as I dared and then nailed it between the pillars. I just touched 75 before I had to brake like hell to avoid entering the Menai Bridge pub via an unconventional route..

There was once a 3-mile tailback at the bridge, which turned out to be a couple parked in the road just before the bridge eating a picnic.

As they used to say In Bangor - bleddy Saes!

bagpuss

Guru
Saw this one in Canada . Pre range practice!
42753737044_d8d6b42350_z.jpg Shot out. by rebalrid, on Flickr

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It may be different now, but back then it was 15mph all the way across. I took the mainland roundabout as fast as I dared and then nailed it between the pillars. I just touched 75 before I had to brake like hell to avoid entering the Menai Bridge pub via an unconventional route..

There was once a 3-mile tailback at the bridge, which turned out to be a couple parked in the road just before the bridge eating a picnic.

As they used to say In Bangor - bleddy Saes!
Travelling down through Wales towards Builth Wells we had a notion to go and look at Anglesey. Not sure how I managed it but I missed the turn towards the Menai Bridge as it seemed kind of inconspicuous. By the time I realised there was nowhere handy to turn round. The drivers in Wales all appeared to be mad and just pulled out of junctions regardless of oncoming traffic.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Travelling down through Wales towards Builth Wells we had a notion to go and look at Anglesey. Not sure how I managed it but I missed the turn towards the Menai Bridge as it seemed kind of inconspicuous. By the time I realised there was nowhere handy to turn round. The drivers in Wales all appeared to be mad and just pulled out of junctions regardless of oncoming traffic.

I now live in Pembrokeshire and it’s like this: “I’ve been driving my Land Rover out of this gateway without looking for forty years, and my father before me, and his father before him, and I’m not going to start looking now!” A farmer two miles away has a habit of doing this with a forklift attachment with the forks at chest level. On a blind bend. How he hasn’t killed someone I don’t know.

houblon

To many on here, cats eyes were a regular feature on our roads when we were younger.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat's_eye_(road)

The inventor of cat's eyes was Percy Shaw of Boothtown, Halifax, West Yorkshire...The name "cat's eye" comes from Shaw's inspiration for the device: the eyeshine reflecting from the eyes of a cat walking towards him.

Just think: if the cat had been walking away from Percy, he'd have invented the tea-towel holder.

(thank you Barry Cryer)

rvw

Guru
In the middle of a field, between two rugby pitches. Exactly who is supposed to give way?
20210102_120659[1].jpg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The inventor of cat's eyes was Percy Shaw of Boothtown, Halifax, West Yorkshire...The name "cat's eye" comes from Shaw's inspiration for the device: the eyeshine reflecting from the eyes of a cat walking towards him.

Just think: if the cat had been walking away from Percy, he'd have invented the tea-towel holder.

(thank you Barry Cryer)

I prefer the Ken Dodd version.

If the cat had been walking away from him, he’d have invented the pencil sharpener

Moodyman

Legendary Member
My avatar is a road sign encouraging motorists to look out for cyclists. It's a main road on the Yorkshire coast often used for time trialling.

What's unusual about it? That the local highways department is concerned enough for cyclists to erect a prominent sign.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My avatar is a road sign encouraging motorists to look out for cyclists. It's a main road on the Yorkshire coast often used for time trialling.

What's unusual about it? That the local highways department is concerned enough for cyclists to erect a prominent sign.
But not concerned enough to actually improve the road?

Is it official then? Looks like an event organiser sign, on correx in non-standard colours.

Top Bottom