Strange Road Signs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Are the signs very old and put up when they were correct years ago? Nobody gave the order to take them down and they have been forgotten.

No, I can't comment on the dead end one, but the road has never been a dead end in all my years of using it (and I'm old)
The other two never had signs there, and when erected nothing has changed.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What I find strange are the signs that blatantly lie. ...
If going through the village of Lumby from the North, there is a sign that says "no access to the A63" it's a lie, there is nothing to stop you.
I know one like that. You can get through. But cars can't ;)

Anyway, I expect most cyclists know loads of lying signs. "Cyclists dismount" and "end of route" both widely used inaccurately where it should be a give way at most.

Mike_P

Guru
Anyway, I expect most cyclists know loads of lying signs. "Cyclists dismount" and "end of route" both widely used inaccurately where it should be a give way at most.
I noticed on a relatively narrow shared pavement over the railway and river on the York outer ring road Cyclists dismount signs had changed to Take care passing pedestrians

Reactions: mjr

tyred

Legendary Member
First time I ever saw this one.

CharleyFarley

First time I ever saw this one. View attachment 609725
Probably erected out of necessity to get people to slow down and give the ducks a chance.

Several years ago while driving into a city to go to work, I saw a mama duck and several of her ducklings trying to cross the road. I stopped my truck to hold up the cars behind me, and I got out and held up traffic coming the other way. The nasty looks I got from those other drivers told me that they would rather have run over the ducks.

Seevio

Guru
I've always wondered what series of events leads to the skid marks shown in the slippery road sign. There's clearly some sort of wheel swapping going on.

Mike_P

Guru
I read that sign invariably as meaning loose chippings are coming at a future date; whereas currently it is typically a nice smooth cycling surface.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not a road sign per se but have lived in the city for many decades, walked this road thousands of times and never noticed this sign before

View attachment 611251
If we are doing 'not a road sign per se' then I will offer this one which I spotted in Keighley town centre...

Cycling clubs must have been a lot better off in those days to afford an impressive club HQ like that!

Top Bottom