Strange things you see whilst out cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi
Today I went on a 50 mile ride out.
The weather was reasonable and you can definitely see the seasons changing for the better.
After around 25 mile I found a nice spot to stop and take a breather.It was a secluded Hamlet with a couple of small house's dotted around with a small river flowing between them.With the bike parked up I stood on the small humpbacked bridge admiring the view of river and horses in the adjoining field whilst have a drink and some food.
Over the sound of the river I could here some music coming from one of the houses. I couldn't make it out at first as to what it was, but it soon became apparent it was banjo music.Being the nosey git I am ,I walked to the other side of the bridge to listen, and I kid you not I spotted this young lad sitting in his garden playing the Bango and it was the tune that was in the film Deliverance.
This idyllic spot that I stopped at ,suddenly turned into feeling very creepy.A kid playing the Deliverance tune on a Banjo in the garden ,by a river in the middle of nowhere soon got me back on my bike and peddling off into the horizon 🤣🤣🤣

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I was cycling up along the river lea one time and out of nowhere i heard the sound of drums. Apparently one of the boat dwellers was either giving a drum lesson or practising his chops. I have never heard of anyone having a drum kit on a long boat before but i guess it makes sense, Youre always in the middle of nowhere and your neighbours are gone most of the time.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Night rides are best because of the drunks. We have seen:

A man asleep between two wheelie bins, and a couple of people asleep on pavements
A man getting out of a taxi and falling over halfway up his front path
A man ripping his shirt off in excitement at seeing a group of cyclists
Two men making steam train noises and actions as we passed them near Chinnor station

classic33

Leg End Member
A driver getting a bit of "relief" from his female passenger.
The soft top car had pulled up in the next lane. But the indicators on the car showed he wanted to cross my path.

gbb

Legendary Member
Two things spring to mind, both about 1 mile from home over the deserted brickpits, both occasions years apart.

Rode over the footbridge into the pits and the vista opens up into old workings, brown fields and pits. Sunny day....and for all the world, it looked like a large random chrome thing glinting in the sun, quite static but moving and glinting at the same time. This was a few hundred metres away, no access to its location but i'd guess something maybe 5ft high, 2 or 3 feet across. To this day, i have NO idea what that was ?

A few years later, almost yards from where i'd seen the first thing, i continued along the path....to see a smallish 'fireball' going straight overhead. I'm guessing it was a daytime sighting of some meteor material coming through the atmosphere.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A driver getting a bit of "relief" from his female passenger.
The soft top car had pulled up in the next lane. But the indicators on the car showed he wanted to cross my path.
Ah, the Taylforth manoeuvre for stomach pains.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bagpipers...!

Oh, I forgot something really funny that @colly and I encountered on an otherwise quiet country lane between Stamford Bridge and the cycle path taking us back into York ...

We spotted two cars parked in the gateway to a field. Standing next to the cars were two men playing bagpipes... After we had ridden past them we discussed what we had just seen and concluded that their respective families and/or neighbours had propbably banished them to the countryside for their weekly bagpiping practice! :laugh:

iluvmybike

Über Member
Ah yes bagpipes - cycling back from Ullapool to Garve we could hear bagpipes - lo and behold there was a chappie piping away in a lay-by all on his tod. Perhaps his wife wasn't keen on the sound....

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
It’s Panto Time! In April. April is Panto Time!!!

BE090F88-CF02-457B-8288-8FBA837C420D.jpeg

TBH it looks ****ing terrifying!

Top Bottom