Strange things you see whilst out cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I previously mentioned how solo night rides through quiet woodland can be a scary and lonely experience, so I was utterly freaked out to ride round a corner and find my way blocked by a totally silent and stationary crowd of people, all staring in the same direction at the sky. Creepy ritual?

Took a few moments to realise it was just a "bat walk".

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
A few years back, I was riding along the Cinder Track near Ravenscar when I came across a guy dressed as a leprechaun, sat on a gate playing a penny whistle. A few moments later I met Snow White strolling towards me followed closely by a pirate and a bloke in a top hat & tails. It was then I realized they were doing a sponsored walk.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Only yesterday, I saw a car transporter, sprayed Acid Lime Green carrying a full load of cars sprayed the same colour. It was quite startling!!
Unfortunately I couldn't get a photograph. Mind you, it would have burned the lens out!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is very stereotypical.

On my ride near Kinmel Bay, spotted a chinese guy on a sit up and beg with a bunch of 2m wide bamboo poles attached width ways riding down the road. Certainly stops close passes.:eek:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Once upon a time I was riding through Ashurst Wood in Sussex when I heard a voice cry "O prince, O prince, I have been imprisoned in this tower by an evil sorceress" I looked up and ...
1649941757585.png

I got off my bike and she said "Hang on, you're no prince. Bugger off".

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Castle Eaton near here has an annual scarecrow trail. One of the houses on the edge of the village had a Grim Reaper with a cloak that flapped in the breeze. It was terrifying at dusk.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I previously mentioned how solo night rides through quiet woodland can be a scary and lonely experience, so I was utterly freaked out to ride round a corner and find my way blocked by a totally silent and stationary crowd of people, all staring in the same direction at the sky. Creepy ritual?

Took a few moments to realise it was just a "bat walk".

Thing is you usually are charging round with big lights, no person anywhere. Bet you pooped yourself.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Everyday life.

This is for all of us that remember the days before cellphones with wired, or even worse, wireless earbuds.

It used to be if you saw someone waving their hands at the sky and babbling at the top of their lungs that they WERE certifiably bonkers. Now we just don't know... on a phone call? Talking to God without a phone? Howling at the moon? (I saw one of those here on a clear moonlit night as well.

Cell phones and earbuds make so many more people look nuts. Of course there's no guarantee that even if they ARE on a phone that they're not anyway!

Another note: Like for auto drivers, I'm for NO phone use when biking, but that's me. Wireless earbuds or not, we're not CONCENTRATING on riding safely when on the phone! :cycle:

A few villages round here have pumpkin festivals. Lots of characters in the garden with pumpkins for heads. Quite impressive and some great ingenuity on display.
Was riding through the village on the way back when one of these came to life and began wielding a chainsaw.

After the initial shock I cautiously got closer. It was a lumberjack in a pumpkin coloured helmet with pumpkin coloured ear defenders.
That spiked my heart rate.

I was cycling up along the river lea one time and out of nowhere i heard the sound of drums. Apparently one of the boat dwellers was either giving a drum lesson or practising his chops. I have never heard of anyone having a drum kit on a long boat before but i guess it makes sense, Youre always in the middle of nowhere and your neighbours are gone most of the time.
Narrowboat ? Unless it's a left over Viking raider ?

Top Bottom