Strange things you see whilst out cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
We had to stop the bikes once to let a large load go past. Turbine blade off to the local wind farm. Blooming massive. I don't think people appreciate quite how big these things are.

They're huge, I've seen them at the factory in Hull, tend to get shipped out on the Humber I believe

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
We had to stop the bikes once to let a large load go past. Turbine blade off to the local wind farm. Blooming massive. I don't think people appreciate quite how big these things are.

Got caught behind one on the road in France once. Fortunately we were driving away from, not towards, the ferry port at the time, so no time pressure. It was indeed enormous.

Hornchurch

'

Was out on my 2nd-ride of the day, when sadly, I chanced upon a recently killed large Adult Female Stoat

Beautiful colouration & thick/intense fur - Made me sad that (this time of year), she MIGHT have cubs ?

Was wearing gloves (anyhow), so, picked her up & placed her on the grass-verge.

Lane IS very, very narrow at that point & whilst most observe the speed-limit, there ARE a few idiots about.

Am also noticing FAR more electric vehicles about (or 'hybrids') - You just don't hear them coming !!!

Whilst stoats are not particularly a rarity, they ARE far less common than most mammals here

Back in 2011, whilst out on a far larger (& more powerful bike, a 900cc), I chanced upon a Pine Marten !!!!

Again, same deal - Dismounted (it's a rarely-used lane, by an old RAF-base, now disused) & moved it to the verge.

The difference in "pelts" tho', was quite remarkable - Still saddened me though, that this Stoat, today, might have had kids...(& their fate)

Caperider

Hi
Today I went on a 50 mile ride out.
The weather was reasonable and you can definitely see the seasons changing for the better.
After around 25 mile I found a nice spot to stop and take a breather.It was a secluded Hamlet with a couple of small house's dotted around with a small river flowing between them.With the bike parked up I stood on the small humpbacked bridge admiring the view of river and horses in the adjoining field whilst have a drink and some food.
Over the sound of the river I could here some music coming from one of the houses. I couldn't make it out at first as to what it was, but it soon became apparent it was banjo music.Being the nosey git I am ,I walked to the other side of the bridge to listen, and I kid you not I spotted this young lad sitting in his garden playing the Bango and it was the tune that was in the film Deliverance.
This idyllic spot that I stopped at ,suddenly turned into feeling very creepy.A kid playing the Deliverance tune on a Banjo in the garden ,by a river in the middle of nowhere soon got me back on my bike and peddling off into the horizon

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po

Like this ?

Last edited:

yello

I honestly cannot think of anything "strange" that I've seen when out on a ride. Cool stuff, sure, moments when I've realised why I ride a bike. Such things are though, for me anyway, almost by definition to do with me noticing the normal and everyday, and appreciating it. I'm sure I've seen strange things but I cannot recall one as I sit here now.

I have however been in situations where it's been me that's the strange thing. I remember stopping to refill my water bottles at a community centre where a wedding reception was taking place. I walked into the lobby area (not aware of what was going on) to see all these people looking at me, wondering what on earth I was doing there. All these people in wedding attire and me in my cleats and yellow bib longs. I must have looked a sight.

Big John

Guru
Over the years I've come across some weird and whacky stuff out in the lanes, usually on group rides. I used to carry a GoPro on the bike in those days so managed to catch a few things on video. Came across a recumbent that looked like a rocket with just the top of the riders head sticking out of the 'missile'. We chased through and off to catch him and even then only caught him on a hilly section. Also came across a wild west wagon with four folks sat in it and a 'driver' sat on top, all dressed for the part, out in the middle of nowhere. None of us could believe what we saw but thankfully I caught it on the GoPro. Also ended up in the middle of a vintage tractor procession through a large village close to where I live. Came across several hunts with the hounds scattered all across the road and the riders dressed in all their finery. It's one of the things I love about cycling.....you never know what you'll come across.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Head on a pole on a fence:
nc_ohc=ndjS3SKfQm4AX9DG8H9&_nc_ht=scontent.fltn1-2.jpg

geocycle

Legendary Member
Heard a rumble and rattle behind me today and suspected a tractor, but no it was a SUV towing a trailer with a massive hot air balloon basket. If not a balloon it was the worlds biggest picnic hamper!

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Came across a seemingly ‘obvious crime’ scene very early one morning recently……which was first the wing mirror and other large hunks of plastic and dark coloured metal from a car; and laying in the road.

I then came across a damaged; and abandoned (Front half on path - rear half on the road) dark car - not much further up the road.

And then just past that - was what looked like a parked car with severe damage and dark coloured paint transfer all the way down the drivers side……🙄

I’m guessing drunk or maybe stoke vehicle driver ? Who gave up driving at that point and abandoned the vehicle.

Either way I figured someone else would clearly see what I had. So just rode past and carried on without getting involved.

Gillstay

Über Member
'

Was out on my 2nd-ride of the day, when sadly, I chanced upon a recently killed large Adult Female Stoat

Beautiful colouration & thick/intense fur - Made me sad that (this time of year), she MIGHT have cubs ?

Was wearing gloves (anyhow), so, picked her up & placed her on the grass-verge.

Lane IS very, very narrow at that point & whilst most observe the speed-limit, there ARE a few idiots about.

Am also noticing FAR more electric vehicles about (or 'hybrids') - You just don't hear them coming !!!

Whilst stoats are not particularly a rarity, they ARE far less common than most mammals here

Back in 2011, whilst out on a far larger (& more powerful bike, a 900cc), I chanced upon a Pine Marten !!!!

Again, same deal - Dismounted (it's a rarely-used lane, by an old RAF-base, now disused) & moved it to the verge.

The difference in "pelts" tho', was quite remarkable - Still saddened me though, that this Stoat, today, might have had kids...(& their fate)

Fully agree, I cycled a short circuit near Bromyard pre covid and it was good, and rural, but finding two dead Polecats in fantastic condition ruined that evening. Never seen a live one either. Great shame.

Top Bottom