Strong winds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trek Trauma Chris

In Cornwall at the moment we are having wind speeds of 20-25 mph with gusts of 40-45 mph.

I am a large chap and on some occasions even 12-15 mph breezes, if they catch me right will drift me into the centre of the road. So what wind speeds would stop you from going out and what do you do to ride safely in strong winds.

GrasB

Veteran
I go out gingerly & make a judgement call, I've had days where winds in-excess of 25mph gusting 40mph haven't felt like a real problem. Then I've had days were significantly weaker winds have felt dangerous.

How to ride safely, be more assertive with your road positioning, hold a stronger than normal secondary, get into primary earlier, look for gaps in hedges, between houses etc where you're likely to the full force or an enhanced side wind.

lukesdad

GrasB said:
I go out gingerly & make a judgement call, I've had days where winds in-excess of 25mph gusting 40mph haven't felt like a real problem. Then I've had days were significantly weaker winds have felt dangerous.

How to ride safely, be more assertive with your road positioning, hold a stronger than normal secondary, get into primary earlier, look for gaps in hedges, between houses etc where you're likely to the full force or an enhanced side wind.
Cross winds are the problem on the flipside watch for the wind suddenly dropping and instead of bracing your self against it...... bang!;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Have a look at this video of the winds, which caused chaos at the South African Cape Argus race in 2009:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8wtnBJOgdM&feature=related
You need to watch to about 1:30.

I did the race this year, I lay awake most the night listening to the wind buffetting the hotel and dreading the start. We had strong winds but not as strong as they had in '09. For the first half of the ride we were against a stiff south-easterly, which reduced even the pros' times by 20 minutes. I got behind a father & son on a tandem and made up some good time until the father got hacked off and started making it clear he wasn't happy with me slacking behind so I got on the front for a km and nearly killed my legs!

On the second half we had the wind more or less behind us except that as we went up the Atlantic coast it was blasting down the gullies off Table Mountain; at one point I was leaning right into a bend enjoying the dry tarmac and sunshine when a huge gust hit me and nearly had me off. A steady wind isn't a problem, it's the sudden gusts that upset a cyclist.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've cycled my then 8 year old or younger to school in winds gusting to 45 mph, but I think that would be my limit for him - and our route isn't that exposed after the first 100m.

OP
OP
T

Trek Trauma Chris

Globalti said:
Have a look at this video of the winds, which cause chaos at the South African Cape Argus race in 2009:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8wtnBJOgdM&feature=related
You need to watch to about 1:30.

I did the race this year, I lay awake most the night listening to the wind buffetting the hotel and dreading the start. We had strong winds but not as strong as they had in '09. For the first half of the ride we were against a stiff south-easterly, which reduced even the pros' times by 20 minutes. I got behind an father & son on a tandem and made up some good time until the father got hacked off and started making it clear he wasn't happy with me slacking behind so I got on the front for a km and nearly killed my legs!

On the second half we had the wind more or less behind us except that as we went up the Atlantic coast it was blasting down the gullies off Table Mountain; at one point I was leaning right into a bend enjoying the dry tarmac and sunshine when a huge gust hit me and nearly had me off. A steady wind isn't a problem, it's the sudden gusts that upset a cyclist.

Thats CRAZY! isnt it?

Fiona N

Veteran
If it's windy but bright and sunny, it's a Windcheetah day :wacko:

The Speedmachine is even better into a headwind but the risks of being knocked over by gusty cross-winds are too high to risk that when it's windy.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I find built up areas can be dodgy where the wind funnels down a side street then hits you as you cross the junction.

Nice going up hill with with a strong wind in your favour.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Banjo said:
I find built up areas can be dodgy where the wind funnels down a side street then hits you as you cross the junction.

Nice going up hill with with a strong wind in your favour.

And when does that ever happen...:sad: its always the opposite for me...

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Had an incident this morning where all was well as I headed into a roundabout at my usual pace (about 17 mph) and leaned the bike into the direction of travel. It wouldn't turn.

There was a sudden gust from the direction I was going into and it stopped the bike turning. I was going to hit the kerb, until I braked sharply - thank god for disc brakes.

GrasB

Veteran
I find when I'm in the wind I need to be very aggressive with the steering both with lean & also turning the wheel into the corner.

I'm currently visiting in the Cambridgeshire fens, threre's no respite from the wind, as soon as I make it out of the village I'm fighting the wind whether it's a side wind or a head wind. There's little or no vegetation save for leafless trees so nothing to hide behind at all. leaning the bike 20 degrees into the wind just to stay upright is an interesting experience for a newbie cyclist, especially when the wind drops suddenly for a moment.

GrasB

Veteran
automatic_jon said:
I'm currently visiting in the Cambridgeshire fens, threre's no respite from the wind, as soon as I make it out of the village I'm fighting the wind whether it's a side wind or a head wind. There's little or no vegetation save for leafless trees so nothing to hide behind at all. leaning the bike 20 degrees into the wind just to stay upright is an interesting experience for a newbie cyclist, especially when the wind drops suddenly for a moment.
Welcome to my world of riding, the conditions are relentless with little to no respite. So heres the thing, hills or the flat? :thumbsup:

Top Bottom