Studded winter tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Wouldn't using really soft decently grippy tyres be better ?

I used some Schwalbe G-One All-round a few years back, terrible in that there wear out after 1000km but that's because they grip like hell in cold weather as the rubber is so soft, a bit like winters tyres in cars ie no one uses ice tyres unless you're on ice more than you're on tarmac.

Soft rubber compound is what i'd want under me in slippy/icy conditions as surface ice will be so thin that i'm not sure studs will really do much ?
Snow tyres are a combo of thick tread to grip snow and studs for gripping ice. I've ridden sheet ice on studs no problem. The tricky bit is loose snow where you sometimes have to spin the back wheel or push the front sideways in order to clear the loose stuff out of the way to find a compact enough layer for the tread to bite. Slidy funtimes.

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
About 10 years ago, when Kent had some serious snow, I cycled into work on my daughter's Apollo mountain bike. Nice soft snow and got into work no problem. Got into work before most of my work colleagues and a few didn't even try as they could not get their cars out of their drives. But overnight, the snow froze and although I tried again, I could not cycle more than about 50 yds and keep my balance, so turned back and worked from home.

That Apollo mountain bike which I used for that snowy week, has not been touched since and is somewhere rusting away in the garden shed.

About 10 years ago, when Kent had some serious snow, I cycled into work on my daughter's Apollo mountain bike. Nice soft snow and got into work no problem. Got into work before most of my work colleagues and a few didn't even try as they could not get their cars out of their drives. But overnight, the snow froze and although I tried again, I could not cycle more than about 50 yds and keep my balance, so turned back and worked from home.

That Apollo mountain bike which I used for that snowy week, has not been touched since and is somewhere rusting away in the garden shed.
That's because you forgot to wash the road-salt off it. Winter schoolboy error.
:okay:

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
That's because you forgot to wash the road-salt off it. Winter schoolboy error.
:okay:
No, it was because the snow was still thick on the roads and where the cars had made deep tread patterns and the snow had frozen and you just could not ride on it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This is now my dedicated Snow bike,

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Snow tyres are a combo of thick tread to grip snow and studs for gripping ice. I've ridden sheet ice on studs no problem. The tricky bit is loose snow where you sometimes have to spin the back wheel or push the front sideways in order to clear the loose stuff out of the way to find a compact enough layer for the tread to bite. Slidy funtimes.

Nit so much thick tread as sipes for a large surface area and gripping area and rubber that stays supple at sub zero temps.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
No, it was because the snow was still thick on the roads and where the cars had made deep tread patterns and the snow had frozen and you just could not ride on it.

He was referring to the rust me thinks

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The grading of winter tyres goes roughly like this, from best to worst (in terms of not falling off):
Studs plus knobs - Schwalbe Ice Spiker
Studs - Schwalbe Marathon Winter
Special compound and tread pattern - Continental Top Contact Winter
Normal "winter" road bike tyres - Conti GP 4 Seasons
Ordinary tyres

The rating from slowest to fastest is pretty much the same too :smile:

Marathon Winter are noticeably hard work, enough so that I only fit mine when I expect lots of ice, rather than just the odd patch.
Studs alone don't give much grip in snow, but the problem then is more lack of progress than hurting yourself.

Top Contact Winter are quite a lot nicer to ride, and not noticeably slower than the average town & canal towpath 35c hybrid tyre.
I use these once regular frosts have started. I had them up to about 10% going directly uphill on sheet ice before they span out (by way of a testing ride).

GP 4 Seasons are a bit better than standard tyres, but they are aimed more at cold & damp rather than ice.
I've retired from regular winter club rides now, but they are what I used to use, and they were OK for 25 miles in the Cotswold hills for the average icy night (i.e. roads mostly dry), provided that you were alert and ready to slow right down for icy patches, or possible icy patches. If you are on ice (lack of tyre noise is a giveaway), or think you may be, don't turn or brake other than extremely gently, and don't do anything that's going to upset your balance, such as looking round when someone else falls off.

What you can't do with any tyre is to ride like you do when it's dry and warm enough that ice isn't a possibility.

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
Well it came today.
After a short battle I got it on to a spare aksium.

Looks like it might fit the bike, but these Shwalbe are so unbendable that I couldn't get it past the brake shoes. No qr adjusters on these brakes, so will have to remove a brake shoe or loosen the cable. So have won the first battle, but not the war.

Top Bottom