Suggestions for a winter road bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scott addict

I started cycling in May and really enjoyed getting on the road after 30 years.

I'm looking for winter road bike recommendations,as most cyclists I've chatted with have a summer and winter bike! My budget is £1,500.
Ideas much appreciated.

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably some sort of gravel bike that takes fat tyres and full mudguards

which one will come down to what you like and what is available (not that much right now)
Look at Ribble, Planet X, Merlin as well as the usual big brands

Oh vickster beat me to it.

They also have a shop in Ambleside and I believe you can hire the bikes too.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What is your 'summer' bike?
Never really got this summer/winter bike thing. As an all-year cyclist & commuter I know the weather can be continually awful in summer or surprisingly dry & mild in winter so my bikes are prepared and spec'd accordingly.
I think the winter bike thing is used just as an excuse to justify buying another bike by the 'most' cyclists you are referring to?

vickster

Legendary Member
Never really got this summer/winter bike thing. As an all-year cyclist & commuter I know the weather can be continually awful in summer or surprisingly dry & mild in winter so my bikes are prepared and spec'd accordingly.
I think the winter bike thing is used just as an excuse to justify buying another bike by the 'most' cyclists you are referring to?
He's got a Scott Addict...
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/schwalbe-one-tyres.267266/page-2

OP
OP
Scott addict

Scott addict

My summer bike is a carbon scott addict 10 disc

Attachments

• 20200803_164854.jpg
    20200803_164854.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 18

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
As above - something that can take mudguards and wider tyres, studded if you really need to.

People will suggest a gravel-type / cyclocross bike (Specialized Diverge / Ridley Kanzo) or a road bike with wider tyre options (Kinesis Racelight).

A 'winter' bike is just something you don't mind if it gets slightly damaged due to bad weather; road salt particularly, plus rain and dirt can corrode components quickly.

My 'best' bike gets put away in October and I use either my Wilier Montegrappa road bike or an Avanti Circa cyclocross bike. One's got road wheels but 25mm tyre clearance max, the other can take 35mm tyres.

If you go for disc wheels and the same speed you could run two sets of wheels; one for better days from the Scott and the other with wider/knobbly/studded tyres :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
As above - something that can take mudguards and wider tyres, studded if you really need to.

People will suggest a gravel-type / cyclocross bike (Specialized Diverge / Ridley Kanzo) or a road bike with wider tyre options (Kinesis Racelight).

A 'winter' bike is just something you don't mind if it gets slightly damaged due to bad weather; road salt particularly, plus rain and dirt can corrode components quickly.
And for that reason there's no reason to spend £1500... this would do perfectly well
https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-malt-g2-claris-gravel-bike-2021-197226.html

Top Bottom